Georgie

Victoriald

Apr 30, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck (Georgie)
This is Georgie my new Indian Ringneck. I got him yesterday, he's only 5 months old and extremely shy and scared, advice welcome on how to gain his trust. I've only ever had budgies.
1000010922.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed !

Ringnecks take TIME to let you into their world, so patience is the word you need to keep in mind. But, dont stop trying! Ringneck parrots need to be socialized on an almost daily basis if they are to get and remain tame. GO at his pace of acceptance and not your pace of expectations.

OP
Victoriald

Victoriald

Apr 30, 2024
Parrots
Welcome and be welcomed !

Ringnecks take TIME to let you into their world, so patience is the word you need to keep in mind. But, dont stop trying! Ringneck parrots need to be socialized on an almost daily basis if they are to get and remain tame. GO at his pace of acceptance and not your pace of expectations.
Thank you for replying. He's my first Parrot so not 100% on what I'm doing as only ever had budgies and they were so easy to tame.
At the moment Georgie is sitting next to me in his cage, he closes his eyes when I talk to him, is this a good sign do you know?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Being relaxed in your presence and near proximity is a very good sign. SO you want to try feeding from your hand, in the cage at first and then lowly working to getting him to eat from the hand out side the cage. Next is training to step up when requested. But that point may be many weeks in the future. Or it could go faster - every parrot is its own bird so to speak, and lots don;t act strictly to any species stereotype.

OP
Victoriald

Victoriald

Apr 30, 2024
Parrots
Being relaxed in your presence and near proximity is a very good sign. SO you want to try feeding from your hand, in the cage at first and then lowly working to getting him to eat from the hand out side the cage. Next is training to step up when requested. But that point may be many weeks in the future. Or it could go faster - every parrot is its own bird so to speak, and lots don;t act strictly to any species stereotype.
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated

Most Reactions

Latest posts