Get a friend?

Vickig

Mar 2, 2024
Parrots
I have a 9 yr old si eclectus parrot. A male
Hi there. im new to this site as of tonight.
i have a male si eclectus. His name is harry potter and ive owned him for nine years, since he was 4 months old. My question is should he have a male friend? I know its common with this bread to chew feathers. Harrys been doing this since he was 2. im wondering if any of you also only have one parrot? Do you think they get lonly for another bird?
vickig

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi there. im new to this site as of tonight.
i have a male si eclectus. His name is harry potter and ive owned him for nine years, since he was 4 months old. My question is should he have a male friend? I know its common with this bread to chew feathers. Harrys been doing this since he was 2. im wondering if any of you also only have one parrot? Do you think they get lonly for another bird?
vickig
Hi and welcome to the site.
I do feel that our feathered friends can get lonely when we're not around for long periods of the day and that's it's healthy for them to have interactions with other birds, they are social creatures after all.
That's so sad to see a bird plucking it's feathers. There are several members here who's bird do that including an owner of a male eclectus, maybe they can give some advise.
My godmothers sulphur crested cockatoo started plucking it's feathers after the dog and cat died in quick succession, it's so sad šŸ˜”
A bird is happier with company than being on its own. That's my opinion anyway.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, I adopted my male Ekkie (Nico) a few years ago. He also feather plucks. Nothing has really stopped that behavior. Diet changes, sleeping schedule, bathing, and such didnā€™t help Nico at all. Nico also does go to the vet. His appointment last month went really well, and his vet said heā€™s a very healthy boy.

I did meet a breeding pair of Ekkieā€™s. The male did feather pluck. So even if you add another Ekkie it may not resolve a feather plucking issue. If you want another Ekkie I myself would make sure that you want another Ekkie for yourself. There is no guarantee that theyā€™d even get along.

Iā€™ve made several vet appointments for feather plucking in hopes that I could help Nico. From what Iā€™ve gathered once the problem becomes habitual itā€™s hard to stop the behavior if not impossible. Iā€™ve asked why certain parrots exhibit this behavior, and I was informed that there isnā€™t a great answer. Itā€™s a well known issue, with no cure, and thereā€™s no one answer as to why this occurs. I just do my best to support Nico, and enrich his life.

I hope you find something that helps!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi there, I adopted my male Ekkie (Nico) a few years ago. He also feather plucks. Nothing has really stopped that behavior. Diet changes, sleeping schedule, bathing, and such didnā€™t help Nico at all. Nico also does go to the vet. His appointment last month went really well, and his vet said heā€™s a very healthy boy.

I did meet a breeding pair of Ekkieā€™s. The male did feather pluck. So even if you add another Ekkie it may not resolve a feather plucking issue. If you want another Ekkie I myself would make sure that you want another Ekkie for yourself. There is no guarantee that theyā€™d even get along.

Iā€™ve made several vet appointments for feather plucking in hopes that I could help Nico. From what Iā€™ve gathered once the problem becomes habitual itā€™s hard to stop the behavior if not impossible. Iā€™ve asked why certain parrots exhibit this behavior, and I was informed that there isnā€™t a great answer. Itā€™s a well known issue, with no cure, and thereā€™s no one answer as to why this occurs. I just do my best to support Nico, and enrich his life.

I hope you find something that helps!
Nico what are you doing man, you bring tears to my eyes plucking those beautiful feathers out. It makes me so sad šŸ˜¢.
Some breeds are more prone than others, definitely ekkies, well more the males iv never seen a female with this problem. But it's most common among cockatoos I think. Again it makes me so sad šŸ˜”.
I wonder if adding a female would make a difference šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Most Reactions

Latest posts