Birdie Bread Question…

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I’ve had a lot of difficulty with Nico (Ekkie), and pellets. He seems to crunch them up, and turn the pellets to powder. I’m not sure if he is unable to chew up hard food, or what might be causing the issue. I’ve been giving him birdie bread (Harrison’s, and it’s made up of the same ingredients as his pellets) as he can eat that, and does. I still offer pellets.

This is birdie bread I found in a local store in AZ. I decided to change things up, and offer something new.

Does anyone see anything harmful, or concerning with this birdie bread? It looks good to me but sometimes a second set of eyes is helpful.
IMG_0073.jpeg
IMG_0072.jpeg

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Looks okay to me 🙂. A lot of pet owners find that it’s good to change things up from time so you’re not always feeding the same thing.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I don't see anything jumping out at me as a problem. The big question... Will Nico eat it? As we know, some of our birds are not always accepting of new things. 🙄

I know some folks either take the ground up pellet powder leftovers their birds create, or crush the pellets themselves and mix it into their birdie bread. I've done that for quite a while for Tucker with some Top's, since he's generally not a fan of most green foods. It's a way to get a little bit of greens into him. He runs hot and cold on the Top's. Lately he'll eat 6-8 pellets or so per day, but other times he just tosses them.

Oh, and from your other post, yeah, Tucker is a world class wall decorator too 🤣 Ekkies rule!!!

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Nico did eat this new birdie bread. He actually ate it quite quickly. I’ll give it a week. By then I will know if it’s something he’ll accept on a regular basis.

Grayway

Jan 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Arizona
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Blue n Gold Macaw
Orange wing Amazon
Cockatiels
Sun Conure
I also am from AZ, may I ask where you got it? You can message me if you prefer not to 'advertise.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I also am from AZ, may I ask where you got it? You can message me if you prefer not to 'advertise.
I messaged it to you encase it is advertisement

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
I have a question about the rye in this bread. From my own research (but not experience), I have read that rye generally should not be fed to parrots as they have difficulty digesting it. For us it isca healthy bread, for them, not so much.

It would be great if someone knew for sure if rye is appropriate for our feathered friends.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I have a question about the rye in this bread. From my own research (but not experience), I have read that rye generally should not be fed to parrots as they have difficulty digesting it. For us it isca healthy bread, for them, not so much.

It would be great if someone knew for sure if rye is appropriate for our feathered friends.
I would not be the appropriate person to answer this. Hopefully someone else knows. If you have found some great options for birdie bread please do share. I’m trying to find things that will work for Nico.

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
I too need good recipes that don't include pellets as there are none available in the entire country where I live or the country to the north.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I wanted to follow up about this birdie bread. Nico ate it the first 2 times I served the bread to him. After that he decided he is going to be upset. He is now throwing it on the floor, and screaming until I give him his previous birdie bread.

Parrots are indeed very picky eaters. I just wanted to give honest feedback. I'll continue to try to present this bread to Nico. More then likely its not going to get me anywhere. Nico likes to win arguments!

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
I wanted to follow up about this birdie bread. Nico ate it the first 2 times I served the bread to him. After that he decided he is going to be upset. He is now throwing it on the floor, and screaming until I give him his previous birdie bread.

Parrots are indeed very picky eaters. I just wanted to give honest feedback. I'll continue to try to present this bread to Nico. More then likely its not going to get me anywhere. Nico likes to win arguments!
I decided to make a birdy bread yesterday. Some will disagree with my ingredients, but need to keep in mind that pellets are not available.

I ground sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, egg shells, and flax seeds. There was about 3/4 cup of that (ground). Then I looked for a bread recipe to give me basic instructions. I left out sugar and salt, but did use milk, baking powder and soda. Oh and sunflower oil. Also one egg. But I changed the flour to include whole wheat, buckwheat, and some white flour.

He liked it once his daddy fed it to him, but only the soft insides, not the dry, crunchy edges. The bread is actually pretty tasty but a little odd for human consumption with the ground egg shells 😁.

It's only been one day. We shall see about his acceptance of it next time. Good luck to you with Nico. You know, we chose to live with petulant children that never grow up 😂.

Last edited:

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
I’ve made a birdie bread a couple of times. I cube cut and freeze it.
Basically it’s a 2 egg omelette, with half teaspoon baking soda, some ground almonds as the flour or flax flour stir into a thicker paste.
then add your flavours such as. Half shredded apple, or half banan, a sprinkle of sunflower seeds, or Sesame, or chia, table spoon coconut oil or red palm oil.. you can also add spices like ginger, cinnamon, turmeric .. just change it up Each time.
Bake in a 2 inch deep dish until springy and serve in treat size pieces.
one month do apple and Ceylon cinnamon
next do banana and chopped peanut
next do seeded Loaf, table spoon of oats, milk thistle, chia, sunflower.
next mango, coconut and cayenne for example

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts