Getting a Catalina Macaw - tons of questions!

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

New congo grey baby comes home sometime in May!
We just put a deposit down on a Catalina macaw hatched this past October. We are so excited!!! This will be our first macaw (we've had cockateils and a sun conure) and I've done lots of research, but I have a few questions left over.

First off - we do have young kids and plan on having at least one more, so my main issue (really my only issue) is little children's hands and big macaw beaks meeting each other at some point in time. What do you (with kids) do to best prevent this?

We'd really love to have our macaw fully winged and cageless, and plan on building a large PVC perch for him instead of a cage. Is this realistic or should we purchase a cage for night time, quiet time, and when we won't be home?

Since we plan on having the bird out most, if not all the time, what are the main things in the house I need to bird-proof? Are they fond of chewing on electrical wires? If so, what do you do to prevent them from accessing them?

Anyone out there with a catalina? I'm wondering how they size up biting and loudness-wise compared to other varieties of macaws. Thanks!

OP
skylavaulter

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

Last edited:

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Since this is a baby, you will absolutely need a cage. It won't know what it is and isn't allowed to chew on and this bird has the ability to destroy quite a lot with it's beak. It'll chew up the corner of your dry wall, your windows, your doors, etc, if left unattended.

Also, she (or he) will probably not want to stay on it's perch at first. I have a 7 month old Blue and Gold, and she stays up there for the most part but will occasionally fly down to try to find me. Since you don't want to clip her wings, I would definately suggest the cage for when you aren't home until you have her (or him) trained the way you want.

The cage will be her (or his!) safe place to go as well.

Cute pictures :)

OP
skylavaulter

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

Thanks for the response...and it totally makes sense. We were on the fence about the cage issue, but it couldn't hurt and it WOULD give me peace of mind that the bird is safe when we can't be there to fully watch it, especially as a young chick!

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I could be wrong, but I think it's very important to train a bird to love his cage. Of course the cage will have to be the largest you can afford and/or fit in your house... A bird in a cage is a safe bird..

I only have my bird out, when I'm 100% focused on him, and if he's not completely comfortable, he'll ask to go back to his cage, as nothing can hurt him there. Max is out about 4 hours a day.

ETA: Your bird is absolutely gorgeous...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Like it was mentioned. A cage would be wise when your not able to watch. They can do a lot of damage with those beak!!! Or get into something that you don't want them to, like wiring and such. They're beautiful macaws!!!! A lady was trying to give me hers because her husband was allergic to him. But I declined....One macaw is more then enough for me to handle...lol...With two macaw, I dunno what I would do....lol....

SamsMom

Oct 18, 2011
Canada
Parrots
Samson - 1986 Catelina Macaw
Definitely going to add my vote to keeping a cage for night time and when you're away from home...to keep both the house and bird safe! I take it you have no cat/dog? Otherwise a cage works in their favor as well...

I have a 25 year old catelina macaw and although she's dealing with some stress lately, she's the most loving and affectionate bird I've ever seen. Only with me as she's a 1 person bird, but overall very quiet as far as honking/screaming, and is very smart.

You'll love adding a macaw to your family, but in having young children they have to understand not to bother or try playing with your macaw while he/she's in the cage. Have a designated "play area" of the house where it's okay for the kids to join in while supervised to avoid any nipped fingers! ESPECIALLY with a baby macaw! They don't understand how strong their beak is and need your constant repremand for nipping and reward for gentle.

I was briefly tempted to add a Scarlet macaw to my family but figured one is more than enough :) Adorable photos, thanks for sharing!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Beautiful bird ! Congratulations on your new family member :)

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw
Think of a cage as a haven of security for your bird during its vulnerable night time hours.

Beautiful bird. I'm almost, ALMOST jealous!

Most Reactions

Latest posts