Getting a LoveBird soon.

foxhunter12

Apr 6, 2014
Hi, I am new and my name is Hunter. My cockatiel recently passed away due to an unknown sickness and I am planning on getting a lovebird since they aren't pricey, etc. I was wondering, how big of a cage I should get, how big can they grow, what food, etc. I want to give the lovebird a great and fun environment, and keep it healthy. Also what are some extra items I need to purchase, I already own a cage that is around 22 inches high, 13 across, and 12 the other way, also I own 2 bowls for food and water, 3 perches [and one rope perch], various toys and a mirror/ladder mix. Also cuttlebone, cuttlebone holder, and chalk break grinder stuff [forgot official name]. If there is any extra thing I need, please tell. Also tell extra helpful tips! Thank you!

KiwiPlusUs1025

Feb 23, 2014
South Florida
Parrots
Yellow Side Green Check Conure
Welcome Hunter!!! I don't own a lovebird but I think all birds need plenty of toys to keep them busy. :) I recently found a great website that has good prices=http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/content.cgi
Good luck and please post picture of your feathery baby.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
If you have no idea what your tiel died from I would just toss whatever you have at the moment. You could disinfect and there are a couple good threads about disinfecting if you use the search function but it would probably be easier to just toss the things you have and buy new ones.

The 22X13X12 is way to small and if you used it for your tiel it was way too small for him too incase you decide to get another tiel. I'm guessing it was a parakeet cage sold at a petstore which are usually pretty small even for a parakeet. I think and correct me if I'm wrong lovebird people that the min for a lovebird is 24 by 24 by 24 or something along those lines.

Lovebirds are maybe twice as big as a keet and I think an english budgie can beat them in size. Lovebirds are a bit stockier when you look at them though and that beak is an upgrade.

Any new cage will come with food bowls, if you have dowel perches don't bother disinfecting them just toss them, the rope perches are good and perches made of natural wood are great too. You will need lots of toys for them to play with and a playstand would not go amiss.

I don't know exact food requirements but a good pellet and lots of fresh greens and veggies are always pretty standard across the board. I use TOPS, Roudybush, and I'm working on converting from Roudybush to Goldenfeast Pellets since I don't like what is used in Roudybush(salt content). In the diet section of the fourms there is a sticky by MonicaMc that has a good list of safe fresh foods.

Good luck on your new addition! And I am very sorry for the loss of your tiel. Hopefully some knowledgable lovebird people will chime in. (Dally where are you:))

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.
Hi, welcome, and I'm sorry for the loss of your cockatiel.

About your questions:
1. How big of a cage? Sources don't always agree, but I would say AT LEAST 18x18x18. If you aren't going to clip its wings, you should probably make it even bigger.

2. They're pretty small. They end up being about six or seven inches long from head to tail, and weigh between 45 to 60 grams, usually.

3. What food... It depends on how old the bird is. If it's still eating millet, start converting it to seed over time (a parakeet or similar mix should be good). Once it gets off millet (except as a rare treat), add some pellets. Pellets should, ultimately, make up about 40% of the diet. Have fresh fruits and veggies eventually (this will take a while). Sunflower seeds are a favorite, but only feed your bird five a day at the most.

4. Get chewing toys. Lovebirds love to destroy. Make sure it's safe though. They also like bells (but not the jingle bell, closed type. The open, church-like ones).

Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions!

OP
F

foxhunter12

Apr 6, 2014
Welcome Hunter!!! I don't own a lovebird but I think all birds need plenty of toys to keep them busy. :) I recently found a great website that has good prices=http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/content.cgi
Good luck and please post picture of your feathery baby.
Thanks for the website! and I will! It will be awhile though, gonna wait until after I go on a beach trip so I will have a full year with it.

OP
F

foxhunter12

Apr 6, 2014
If you have no idea what your tiel died from I would just toss whatever you have at the moment. You could disinfect and there are a couple good threads about disinfecting if you use the search function but it would probably be easier to just toss the things you have and buy new ones.

The 22X13X12 is way to small and if you used it for your tiel it was way too small for him too incase you decide to get another tiel. I'm guessing it was a parakeet cage sold at a petstore which are usually pretty small even for a parakeet. I think and correct me if I'm wrong lovebird people that the min for a lovebird is 24 by 24 by 24 or something along those lines.

Lovebirds are maybe twice as big as a keet and I think an english budgie can beat them in size. Lovebirds are a bit stockier when you look at them though and that beak is an upgrade.

Any new cage will come with food bowls, if you have dowel perches don't bother disinfecting them just toss them, the rope perches are good and perches made of natural wood are great too. You will need lots of toys for them to play with and a playstand would not go amiss.

I don't know exact food requirements but a good pellet and lots of fresh greens and veggies are always pretty standard across the board. I use TOPS, Roudybush, and I'm working on converting from Roudybush to Goldenfeast Pellets since I don't like what is used in Roudybush(salt content). In the diet section of the fourms there is a sticky by MonicaMc that has a good list of safe fresh foods.

Good luck on your new addition! And I am very sorry for the loss of your tiel. Hopefully some knowledgable lovebird people will chime in. (Dally where are you:))
Thanks for the info, and I used a bigger cage for my tiel, around 30x26x26, but that seems too big for a lovebird. Also, thanks for the food ideas!

OP
F

foxhunter12

Apr 6, 2014
Hi, welcome, and I'm sorry for the loss of your cockatiel.

About your questions:
1. How big of a cage? Sources don't always agree, but I would say AT LEAST 18x18x18. If you aren't going to clip its wings, you should probably make it even bigger.

2. They're pretty small. They end up being about six or seven inches long from head to tail, and weigh between 45 to 60 grams, usually.

3. What food... It depends on how old the bird is. If it's still eating millet, start converting it to seed over time (a parakeet or similar mix should be good). Once it gets off millet (except as a rare treat), add some pellets. Pellets should, ultimately, make up about 40% of the diet. Have fresh fruits and veggies eventually (this will take a while). Sunflower seeds are a favorite, but only feed your bird five a day at the most.

4. Get chewing toys. Lovebirds love to destroy. Make sure it's safe though. They also like bells (but not the jingle bell, closed type. The open, church-like ones).

Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions!
Thank you for the info! I think i'll use the smaller cage I have now, and get a 25x20x20 or something similar once it grows a little. Luckily, I also have 2 toys with bells on them, a tear toy, rope perch, wooden perch, plastic perch, and a 'pedicure' perch. Can't wait to get him/her!

Most Reactions