getting JJ to try healthy foods

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
So this has been a losing battle with JJ so far. She won't eat veggies(frozen or fresh) she won't eat fruit either. She eats her birdy bread usually but I think she pecks around the fruits and veggies that are in it. I have tried having her sit with me while I eat it so she sees me eating it. But she still won't eat any. I thought getting her to eat healthy foods would be a snap seeing as she refused pretty bird pellets for roudybush less than a week after she came home. All she wants now are her roudybush pellets and she gets 3 nutriberries at nightime.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
All I can suggest is that you sit down at a table with your bird and the fruits and veggies on a plate that you are eating. Put bird on the table also and she just may get curious enough to try. It can be long and frustrating sometimes to get a bird to eat the nutritious foods. I would slow down on the nutriberries to get her more hungry. If you continue to offer the correct foods and little to no seed products she should come around.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Try serving them all different ways. Cold or warm, diced up into tiny pieces, or mashed together, with a few seeds mixed in, in the cup that they usually get treats in, and hang big pieces in different places around the cage. Just like kids, make them think it's their idea.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Maybe you can take out the pellets/seeds at night, and then serve some fruit and vegies in the morning... Leave them there as long as they stay fresh - depending on the temp in your home and whether the stuff is cooked or fresh...

Most Reactions