Getting nervous!

emilye2

Aug 13, 2011
NY
Parrots
Moxie-GC
We're leaving for the first time since I brought Moxie home. I have a family member who is going to come by twice a day and check on the kitties, bunnies, and bird. (Dogs are going to a kennel) I just hope she forgives me.... :(

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
Does your bird know the family member who is going to be looking after her/him? Will they be able to give your bird out of cage time? I've gone on trips a few times since I got Tori, and he has always been happy to see me when I got back. He was left with my mom who he only semi-trusts while I was gone.

Amps

Apr 30, 2011
Bardstown, Kentucky ( bourbon capital of the world
Parrots
Lily (Lillian) a spoiled cockatiel
I've had to leave lily with my boyfriend twice now, and alone for an entire week before. I was so afraid something would happen with her, that I put out 5 dishes of food for her and 8 dishes of water :). She was mad at me when I got home, but after a few hours she was right back to her normal self. It sure is hard to leave them though huh? Just remember, the sad truth is, animal abusers with leave parrots for two months or more with minimum water and food and somehow they survive through it. However much time your leaving isn't that much compared to some things.

OP
E

emilye2

Aug 13, 2011
NY
Parrots
Moxie-GC
She doesn't really like anyone but me so no out of cage time. But she has a HUGE cage for her and I've made sure she'll have a new toy rotation while I'm gone. I'll probably have the tv turned on for a few hours a day also.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'm going out of town for a few days for the first time since getting my baby too! I'm super nervous, but my mom is babysitting him, and they get along well. She has a huge cage for him at her house and has a lot of bird experience. I'm still SUPER nervous!

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Oh, I know the feeling! When we leave it's always so difficult for me too. I just want to take our birds with us everywhere!

Before we got our conure, if I had to leave for a day or two, I'd just make sure my tiels had enough food and water and I usually put in a treat stick and left em. But since we got our conure there is NO WAY I can do that because he needs his waters changed like 3 times a day! He's such a pig. So now I absolutely have to resort to a sitter, even for over nighters.

Lucky for me, my daughter is 18 and a GREAT house sitter so for now, my trips are covered but in years to come??? Aghds! I don't know what we're going to do.

As far as behavior when we get home, our birds hear us come in the door and start flock calling, they are soo excited to see us. As soon as we can we put our bags down and get our birds out and all is "normal" again in their world. :)

We are leaving next week for 4 days on a hike...it's the longest they'll have been left since they adopted us, I'm a bit on edge, but I know with my daughter here, they'll all be just fine.

Have fun on your trip and no worries, I'm sure your bird will be just fine. :D (easier said, then done...I know)

Toni

Most Reactions