Getting rid of extra cues?

ads

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Cadmus the IRN
Griphook and Errol the Cockatiels!
My 11 week old indian ringneck is doing amazing. Up, down, spin, wave. But the one problem I am having is that she isn't responding to my voice so much as the visual cues - which I eventually want to get rid of. I want to just say spin and have her spin - not have to move my hand around her head.
and I get her to wave by putting a marker in front of her foot and she raises it.
When I try without the visual cues - she doesn't respond at all.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Your bird is only 11 weeks old I reckon it's amazing what you have achieved so far
Keep doing exactly what you are doing, in time she will do it on command
Show her a treat, offer it to her and then give her a command
When the command is followed through correctly, give her the treat and make sure you praise her.
Your bird will know she had done well and will repeat it again and again.
Time and patience is all it takes

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I've also had this problem. Most animals seem to respond better to visual cues. I think it's just easier for them to understand. I'm not sure how to completely get rid of the vocal cue, but to make the visual cue smaller, you can "fade" it out. Just start with it big (a big circle around the bird's head, for instance) and then make it smaller and smaller, until it's barely noticeable (a small twitch of your hand.) Animals can sense very small movements, and even though the parrot will see your cue, other people will only see the parrot doing a trick. In my opinion, this is a fun way to do it, because people won't even realize that you told the parrot to do the trick. It's like it just did it because it knew when to. You could also just keep the vocal cue and then your bird will maybe begin to rely on the vocal cue more because the visual cue is so small. Then maybe you could just completely fade out the visual cue. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts