Getting two greys, advice!

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Heya all,

My auntie is moving to another state since my uncle got a new job. Right now things are crazy for them and they don't even have an apartment yet. She has 2 greys that are 23 yeasr old, brother and sister that she hand fed. (my grandmother and her used to raise all sorts of parrots, mostly macaws, greys and cockatoos) So she asked me to take them for her forever, or if it doesn't work out here with me for some reason, she could take them back once things aren't crazy. But driving 2 birds over a few states doesn't seem like something I would want to do. So I want to make it work.

I only have experience with amazons, caiques, macaws and conures as far as parrots go.......what am I getting into????

She says they aren't screamers (I had visions that I was getting 2 more screaming amazons) I haven't seen them since I was a little kid and I am in my 20's now (we have a very strange family on that side that are not close and didn't talk for over 10 years)

I'm moving my conure into the family room and putting them into my room where it is quiet and where I spend a lot of time on the computer/ watching tv or doing yoga so they can get used to me and eyeball me. The amazon is upstairs.

Any advice? I might come crying to you guys a lot :)

Beako_N_Kiwi

Mar 28, 2012
California
Parrots
Our Rescues:

Beako - age 22- Yellow Crowned Amazon

Kiwi - age 9 - Yellow Naped Amazon

Paco - age 28 - Yellow Naped/Yellow Crowned
Nice to meet you! I know what you mean about screaming amazons. My boyfriend and I adopted 2 amazons, that we were told were quiet little angels. Once they settled in with us and got comfortable, they now scream, sing, and talk nonstop really loudly! We just got a CAG foster 2 days ago. It sounds like you are on the right track! It wouldn't hurt to do a vet exam to make sure they don't have anything contagious to your other birds. Good luck!

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
I say you can definitely do it.You have more experience with larger birds than I do I was only with cockatiels parakeets and canaries.My grey was the first medium or large bird I've ever had and I've had no issues.Of course there's been some things I had to work on but if you have patience you can do it.I have had Pearl almost an entire year.Once again I suggest a vet checkup.Good luck with whatever you decide:)

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
I forgot to think about bird combinations:eek:

OP
Lintini

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
What do you mean? Loud??

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Greys can injure conures with their beak even kill.

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
I would first learn about their history i.e. diet, toy preferences, medical history etc..Also, I would try to make the move as least stressful as possible. Once they settle in, you can work on training..Greys have the intelligence of a small child and can continue learning throughout their lifetime. You will be amazed at their intelligence.

OP
Lintini

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Ohhhhh no I don't plan on my conure being free around them. He's my little booboo and the greys will probably take months to accept me as their new mom. I don't know how well these grey's will take to me at all, it doesn't sound like my aunt handles them much anymore.

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Grey's can be very vocal, but they're not generally known as screamers. I adopted two the beginning of the year, sisters. They whistle loudly, make all kinds of sounds and talk.. I think I've only heard one or two surprised squawks from them.. nothing even close to what my Macaw can do.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The GCC I had was very jealous of my TAG. They were never out of cage at the same time. Two times the conure received serious head injuries from bullying her. I had to find him a new home or he would have died from more injuries. Please be careful because it can happen in a flash of a second. My GCC was never free in the home. He was on my shoulder and as I walked by the other cage he jumped off onto the cage bars and in less than a second he had a hole in his sinus cavity. He also had a fx. mandible.

Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum :)

I would say a Conure is louder than a Grey... if you can manage to keep your Conure totally separate from the Greys, it should be OK, then again, you just never know, after a while they may get on.

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
We've had a CAG and Blue-Front Amazon. The CAG talked up a storm especially in the evening. On the other hand our Blue-Front loved to scream.

OP
Lintini

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Thanks for all the comments!

Tomorrow is the big day and I am getting the female actually and my cousin is taking the male. My cousins apartment is dinky tiny and doesn't have room for 2 cages. My dad was not pleased on the thought of 4 parrots in the house, and he was saying no completely to both, which is why I hadn't come back here yet to bring up the bad news. But somehow he was talked into one by his sister, so Chloe will be here around 4pm tomorrow :D

OP
Lintini

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
She's here and settling in :) Not too sure of me though!

OP
Lintini

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Thanks :D She's doing better than I thought for getting a brand new, and much larger cage and completely new people and animals around her. She's let out some cute whistles and she isn't quite sure what to make of the bunnies that live next door to her cage :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts