GGC decided she loves to pick the skin off my knuckles

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Whelp, the title says it all. I recently got my first bird, Kure a green cheek conure. Tonight while she was out she was “preening” my hand and began to bite a bit harder on my knuckles. After a second she had taken a little chunk out. I moved her off my hand and told her to be gentle but she kept coming back :( Eventually she went up to my shoulder and began to chew on my ear, which she has done before and is normally gentle. This time she started gentle the bit hard again. I moved her off and she immediately went up and but it even harder and wouldn’t let go. After I got her off she went back to my hand so I just got up and removed myself from the situation. (It did spook me a bit to I jerked and tried to remove her quickly which may have scared/ agitated her and be why she did it again)When I went to put her to bed she tried to do it on a different part of my hand. Scince putting her down doesn’t seem to phase her, how would you guys recommend I train this out of her before it becomes a habit? I fear for the safety of my hands and ears 😬.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Oh and also, could this just be a baby behavior where she doesn’t know what pressure is ok? She is about 11 months old.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Whelp, the title says it all. I recently got my first bird, Kure a green cheek conure. Tonight while she was out she was “preening” my hand and began to bite a bit harder on my knuckles. After a second she had taken a little chunk out. I moved her off my hand and told her to be gentle but she kept coming back :( Eventually she went up to my shoulder and began to chew on my ear, which she has done before and is normally gentle. This time she started gentle the bit hard again. I moved her off and she immediately went up and but it even harder and wouldn’t let go. After I got her off she went back to my hand so I just got up and removed myself from the situation. (It did spook me a bit to I jerked and tried to remove her quickly which may have scared/ agitated her and be why she did it again)When I went to put her to bed she tried to do it on a different part of my hand. Scince putting her down doesn’t seem to phase her, how would you guys recommend I train this out of her before it becomes a habit? I fear for the safety of my hands and ears 😬.
My budgie bites my ears. She can't seem to resist them. I hand raised her so she's very tame and bonded to us but still bites ears. So we wear hoodies when she's out.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
My budgie bites my ears. She can't seem to resist them. I hand raised her so she's very tame and bonded to us but still bites ears. So we wear hoodies when she's out.
Ah good idea, I will definitely try using a hoodie.

Most Reactions

Latest posts