Giant Day Gecko Care & Natural History

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. Iā€™m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
Among the worldā€™s 52 species of neon-hued day geckos we find some of the most desirable of all lizard pets. Itā€™s not easy to stand out among such a spectacular group, but one species does so admirably ā€“ the magnificent Giant Day Gecko (Phelsuma grandis). Although rarely seen outside of its native Madagascar until the mid-1980ā€™s, this largest of all day geckos is now the hands-down favorite of many lizard enthusiasts. Iā€™m still asked to design zoo and museum exhibits for Giant Day Geckos, despite the fact that public institutions tend to avoid ā€œpet trade speciesā€ ā€“ their beauty simply cannot be ignored. The following information can also be applied to the care of 3 other large relatives that were once considered Giant Day Gecko subspecies ā€“ the Boehmā€™s Giant Day Gecko (P. madagascariensis boehmi), the Madagascar Day Gecko (P. m. madagascariensis) and Kochā€™s Giant Day Gecko (P. kochi). Read the rest of this article here Giant Day Gecko Care and Natural History | That Reptile Blog [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Interesting as always Findi!

Funny enough, i have been researching possibly getting another animal, and after determining I probably wouldn't be able to provide the right housing for a tortoise, I've been looking into the geckos as i have always loved my Leo. Guess these green beauties are out though:( I would prefer one like my Leo that can be hand-tamed. Still, fascinating article and stunning geckos!

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Interesting as always Findi!

Funny enough, i have been researching possibly getting another animal, and after determining I probably wouldn't be able to provide the right housing for a tortoise, I've been looking into the geckos as i have always loved my Leo. Guess these green beauties are out though:( I would prefer one like my Leo that can be hand-tamed. Still, fascinating article and stunning geckos!

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, day geckos (all species) are as far from leopard geckos re care and handle-ability as can be! Fat Tailed geckos are similar to leopard geckos, if you are looking for other species, best, frank

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
So maybe this is a stupid question, but if they cannot be handled and have very delicate skin, how does one remove the animal from the tank to clean the enclosure or if it needs to go to the vet?

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
So maybe this is a stupid question, but if they cannot be handled and have very delicate skin, how does one remove the animal from the tank to clean the enclosure or if it needs to go to the vet?

Hi..they are best kept in large, planted terrariums that require spot cleaning but are not broken down. Handling for vet visits ec. requires a good deal of experience...even in zoos staffed by well-experienced keepers, missing tails and missing geckos are common...has happened to me and most of my co-workers. Best, Frank

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
There's a petco near me that sells these guys!!
What a shame.. I bet they don't provide NEARLY enough information on their care. :(
Granted, they're rather expensive compared to the other animals they sell, but still. That's almost ASKING for them to get into the wrong hands. (Or any hands, at that matter, considering how sensitive they are!)
I do think they're very beautiful though. I've always loved reptiles.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
What a shame.. I bet they don't provide NEARLY enough information on their care. :(
Granted, they're rather expensive compared to the other animals they sell, but still. That's almost ASKING for them to get into the wrong hands. (Or any hands, at that matter, considering how sensitive they are!)

Thanks..,that show up in local stores here also (NY);people hear "gecko" and think in terms of leopard, fat-tails etc and assume these are also hardy and handleable. As you say, prices still high, so hopefully that will force folks to do some research, best, Frank

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

Petco and the like shouldn't be selling ANY live animals if you ask me because they seem to provide such inadequate information:mad:. Sadly for reptiles, people don't research them and seem to regard them as "disposable":( Then the petstore will try to sell you the most expensive items, and you end up with an expensive, enclosure not at all suited to the resident. It's happened to me, twice and my dear little Leo almost died as a juvenile as a result of incorrect information provided by petsmart on substrate and my poor newt got off on the wrong foot too because the man at a locally owned petstore wanted to sell me the entire fish section Being this is on a parrot forum, I think we can all agree any animal should be extensively researched before buying or adopting:D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I used to have a Standing's Day Gecko! :) Maybe around 1990? Thanks for bringing back those memories! I had a male and female. I have a picture of one eating mushed banana. I admit I didn't have the full and proper knowledge, as some reptile stores then only gave the minimum amount of information.

I had taken the (full sized) male out to clean, and though I tried to keep it from biting, it latched onto my hand with such power, I was like :eek:. To this day I remember how much it hurt. There was no prying that thing off. My dad ran and got a paper bag and said put your hand (with the lizard on it) in here! It then jumped off into the bag. Oh relief! I remember feeling sick to my stomach while it was latched on because of the pain.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
I used to have a Standing's Day Gecko! :) Maybe around 1990? Thanks for bringing back those memories! I had a male and female. I have a picture of one eating mushed banana. I admit I didn't have the full and proper knowledge, as some reptile stores then only gave the minimum amount of information.

I had taken the (full sized) male out to clean, and though I tried to keep it from biting, it latched onto my hand with such power, I was like :eek:. To this day I remember how much it hurt. There was no prying that thing off. My dad ran and got a paper bag and said put your hand (with the lizard on it) in here! It then jumped off into the bag. Oh relief! I remember feeling sick to my stomach while it was latched on because of the pain.

They usually run off too fast to bite but yes, they are much tougher than they look! The bag is a great old trick.

My mom wanted to cut off the head of the first boa that latched onto me/..I was 10, and it was longer than I, so it was understandable...manged to talk her out of it. I gave her many more gray hairs after that...Decades later, she was a volunteer at the Bx Zoo, where I worked...she once walked in on me being chased out of an exhibit by 2 huge Cuban crocs...when it was all over, she just said..."I guess it's never going to stop, is it"?!

best, Frank

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Frank, my pain threshold is no where near as high as yours apparently lol :D

He was a very large male with "jowels" on his neck... I never knew of the bag trick, but thank God my dad did. If he didn't , I don't know what I'd have done! Beautiful animal though, the standingi.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012

He was a very large male with "jowels" on his neck... I never knew of the bag trick, but thank God my dad did. If he didn't , I don't know what I'd have done! Beautiful animal though, the standingi.

He might have thrown you in a pool or tub...I once had to do that to a terrier and a 40 lb tortoise that were locked onto each other..it works!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

He might have thrown you in a pool or tub...I once had to do that to a terrier and a 40 lb tortoise that were locked onto each other..it works!

Hmm, good idea unless you don't have a pool, and you're waiting for your tub to fill up LOL :D
I do know those terriers though... My dad's Jack Russell is the most tenacious dog I've ever met (including other terriers)! I once had a Westie latched onto my hand and wouldn't let go for way too long. That hurt even more than the gecko!

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012

Hmm, good idea unless you don't have a pool, and you're waiting for your tub to fill up LOL :D
I do know those terriers though... My dad's Jack Russell is the most tenacious dog I've ever met (including other terriers)! I once had a Westie latched onto my hand and wouldn't let go for way too long. That hurt even more than the gecko!

They are amazing, aren't they...the dog grabbed the tortoise's leg, once the leg was pulled in, the dog's head was locked against the shell. I had the help of a very strong guy, both of us had our hands on the leg, but couldn't budge it; I'm guessing if we had pulled the leg out,. the terrier would have still been holding on!

Most Reactions