Gilbert's Annual Exam today

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
No more leg band! We finally took it off. The vet is not a fan of them at all and has urged me to remove it before but I was always afraid of hurting him in the process. Today I said ok, and as he was looking more closely, he said 'this thing is so big, I think I can wiggle it off'. Sure enough, it wiggled off. :) Gilbert is naked now. haha

The exam went well, everything looks good, and blood results early next week. His weight was the highest it has ever been, but after examining him, it is a perfect weight. (I swear it is having spent the summer flying all over the beach. He is like an Olympian now with muscle. haha)

Hoping when I get the results of all tests, it's all good. Not really expecting anything but good news anyhow, but you just feel better KNOWING.

I put his leg band next to my parrot charm on my bracelet for now....but it is big so I don't think it will be staying. Have to find the perfect way to wear it.
1014426_10152773873849707_287929025795932495_n.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so happy that everything seems to have checked out great for Gilbert! It's a shame that the ring is so large, it looks amazing on your bracelet. Maybe a necklace?
See, I told you that you were the prop, now Gilbert even has you wearing his band!

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I may put it on a necklace!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
So glad to hear Gilbert is in perfect health and at his perfect weight. I bet he's a happier bird without his leg band. I love your bracelet, Gilbert's leg band is a very pretty charm.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow it just wiggled off?! That was BIG for him and good that it's off :)

Beautiful bracelet!

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
I was shocked that it wiggled off too! I guess I should have let him try sooner! I had visions of cutting his leg off lol. He laughed at me and said he has never yet cut a bird's leg off when removing the band. Oh well I have an active imagination. [emoji6]

Last edited:

a_osborne

Feb 17, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Eva
Lutino Indian Ringneck - Adrian
Blue head pionus - Milo
That is so awesome and love the band on your bracelet but I see what you mean about it being so big! I like the idea of putting it on a necklace as well :) happy Gilbert's doing great! Was he not doing well at some point? I believe this is the first post I've read about him.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert has always been healthy but I always have it in my head not to take it for granted, that "healthy" birds sometimes scare an owner with something that was hidden, etc.
And I really take him out a lot, spoil him a lot--I like getting that confirmation from the vet that he is doing great and we aren't going overboard.

a_osborne

Feb 17, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Eva
Lutino Indian Ringneck - Adrian
Blue head pionus - Milo
Aww well that's wonderful :) that's one loved bird!

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
I got all his test results today (CBC/protein electrophoresis/gram stain) and he is perfect. <3
I always worry until I KNOW. Yay Gilbert. I want this bird with me until I am in my 70s. I am determined to make it so!

Most Reactions

Latest posts