Glaucoma

ClaudePi

Jan 17, 2010
Media
Parrots
Bronze Winged Pionus
Hi everyone... I am in a bit of a tight spot.

I have a 12 year old Boston Terrier whos got glaucoma in her right eye. We caught it early enough to start with just eye drops, but of course, they lost their touch. So now she is showing signs of the glaucoma, blood shot eye, running into things, lost of interest in playing, rubbing her eye, and slight swelling. I have told my dad many times that she really needs to have surgery to take out her eye, but he thinks that it would make her life worse having one eye. And asked me, "how would you feel if you lost your eye?" ggrrr! I know he is trying to help, but when it comes to an animal in pain, whatever works for the animal's safety and well being is better than letting it go on for so long.

So my question is, for those of you who have had a dog go through glaucoma and had to go through surgery, how has your dog coped?
Even your opinions are fine, if your dog hasnt gone through this.

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
She'll be fine! Chances are she can't see out of it now anyway. I volunteer at an animal shelter and I've seen a few one eyed dogs. They're just like any other dog. If there is no other option, I don't see how surgery, besides for the recovery time, will be very traumatic for your dog. Good luck with her!

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I worked as a VN for over 10years, have had my old Great Dane lose her eye through cancer, a blind cat from retinal degeneration and currently have a rescue Great Dane who cannot hear or see very well so have had lots of experince with this. Animals have an amazing way to adjust and cope with disabilities. As GC said she probably can't see anyway and the eye sounds like it's getting uncomfortable. Maintaining with drops and vet checks can be quite costly too & eventually the eye may need to be removed anyway.

I had no issues with my one-eyed Dane apart from her sometimes bumping into things on that side, the blind cat and can-hardly-see Dane are great as long as they are in their evnironment - they learn where everything is and you wouldn't even know they are blind watching them. The only issue is walking the Dane, he needs to walk right next to me so he can sense if I am steppiing down etc and in the park off lead I have to stay with-in hearing distance (which isn't very far) so he can find me.

The other thing to remember dogs rely on hearing and smell much more than eyesight. A lot of people have issues with removing eyes, I think because they are so expressive but honestly it sounds like her quality of life is suffering and the surgery will probably make her feel like a pup again.

Good Luck and am happy to answer any questions

OP
ClaudePi

ClaudePi

Jan 17, 2010
Media
Parrots
Bronze Winged Pionus
Thanks everyone. You do have a good point Mel, her eyesight is practically gone, so she shouldnt have a hard time adjusting to having one eye.

And if anyone knows of any good websites that will have info for my dad to look over, that would be great!!

Thanks everyone again!

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Animals have an incredible way of adjusting. My aunty's dog was hit by a car and had to have a leg removed. She is just as spunky and happy as any four legged dog! :)

Sometimes we have to make hard choices based on what is really best for our pets. Good luck with any decision you make :)

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Sometimes we have to make hard choices based on what is really best for our pets. :)

So true. We often have to step back and decide if we are making a decision for us or for our pets..... it can get really hard when there are emotions involved.

Just to add to my list if disabled pets, one of my cats has lost a leg and half his tail, he still brings home rats and climbes trees

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Yeah, do what's best for your pet and don't let anyone stop you. In my school, we have a snake who's blind and he hunts just well because he uses his heat senses and he also adjusts well in his tank.

Most Reactions