Goffin and Citron finally meet outside the cage!

OP
Scott

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
One more, taken today. Sharing a secret.....

1qL05Re.jpg

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
They are lovely Scott and glad they are doing well with eachother. Im no expert in anything parrot related but if i was in this position id let them spend time in the cage together in the day time supervised and see how they get on maybe but you are way more experienced than i. I guess there is always gonna be an element of risk. You might have to take it to get reward, such is life in that way sometimes. Its certainly a tricky one. Sorry im not much help. Beautiful birds though, i love the yellow crests x

OP
Scott

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

They are lovely Scott and glad they are doing well with eachother. Im no expert in anything parrot related but if i was in this position id let them spend time in the cage together in the day time supervised and see how they get on maybe but you are way more experienced than i. I guess there is always gonna be an element of risk. You might have to take it to get reward, such is life in that way sometimes. Its certainly a tricky one. Sorry im not much help. Beautiful birds though, i love the yellow crests x

I might have read this wrong. Your not planning on them sharing a cage?

They have both been separated from their same-species mates for several years because of aggression; Popcorn was the perpetrator and Alice the abused. They have had visual and physical contact through the cage bars for a long while; this is this togetherness outside the cage is new. I would love to place them together; might have to be in a third cage so there would be no territoriality. Just thinking at this point, all options are open!

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Maybe Popcorn just doesn't feel the need to be territorial or aggressive anymore. Have you tried putting Alice on his cage when he is in it to see how he reacts? Could be an option to rule out cage aggression possibly and move forward from there. I do think time in the cage together in the day time would be the way to go at first or when you are at home to monitor them. Who knows, they might enjoy it x

OP
Scott

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Maybe Popcorn just doesn't feel the need to be territorial or aggressive anymore. Have you tried putting Alice on his cage when he is in it to see how he reacts? Could be an option to rule out cage aggression possibly and move forward from there. I do think time in the cage together in the day time would be the way to go at first or when you are at home to monitor them. Who knows, they might enjoy it x

No problem when they both are on top of his cage, but he's not thrilled when she is atop with him locked inside. (doesn't attack feet, but seems agitated) I've observed this by changing the method by which they exit. One comes out first, the door is closed, and the other is invited out, using care to prevent the first-out bird from entering. For now, last thing I want is for them to both be in the cage together, rendering my efforts to break up a fight more difficult. I'm really happy with the progress and will keep progressing!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Nothings better than Too secrets ��I love that little whispering they do.

OP
Scott

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

A few days after my last post, Alice became a bit aggressive towards Popcorn. No biting or injury, but enough to make him shy away and fly to a different area. Kept them separate for 4 days and gave it another try. Yesterday was flawless, will watch the trend.

A problem is Alice's cage has a large nest installed, difficult to remove. The entrance is blocked so she hasn't been inside for about 4 years. Here they are both playing atop.... wonder if they have any ideas??? Sigh... looks like it will have to be removed, might drive their breeding urges.

o0bbJd3.jpg

FQweWdK.jpg

OP
Scott

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Popcorn and Alice have been together inside the larger flight cage without nestbox. Five days so far, all is going extremely well. Most of the time they are together, occasionally at opposite ends of the cage. Eating and chewing toys side by side!

4W1dJXq.jpg

A Gofftron!
PTGrkUX.jpg

Vickkaax90

Apr 16, 2018
Parrots
I have two parakeets and a rescued Cockatoo named Amos
Aww!! They are so adorable! I am really glad they are getting along:)

OP
Scott

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
absolute bit of proof here that even 'aggressive' birds can be happy and friendly

Most Reactions