hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
Hey yall, to clarify - i have a disabled bird for whom I recently made "cushioned" platforms. See attached.

As of right now she hasn't chewed at all. I think to some extent she realizes that since they're hers and she likes them, if she ruins them she won't have them anymore... Lol. But still, I know to keep a very close eye as shredded fabric like fleece can become compacted in her GI system...

That said I'm not too worried about the fabric itself, but it has a thin layer of batting as well to add comfort. I'm wondering if anyone has already researched stuffing for beds/toys and found something that's safe(r)?

Edit: just realized that obviously this pic was taken immediately post remodel I didn't have toys, I'm working on getting toys up lol. I haven't forgotten!!

UfVBH1DTPfRJV6kB9

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_014735673.jpg
    IMG_20200403_014735673.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 88

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you for taking on a handicapped Parrot! Love your Heart!

We had never used batting or like product for platform areas, most commonly Vet (sport) rap with a cloth covering. We have used a foam product, like found in some pillows. In all cases, as you are doing, close monitoring of the edges and surfaces is a must.

Again, thank you for what you are doing!

OP
hiriki

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
I bought some of that on your recent advice & it arrived today! I have plans to use it on perches in their play areas.

Thank you as well--it sounds like you take on many special needs fids and I'm sure you make a huge difference in improving their lives :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I bought some of that on your recent advice & it arrived today! I have plans to use it on perches in their play areas.

Thank you as well--it sounds like you take on many special needs fids and I'm sure you make a huge difference in improving their lives :)

Take care to ensure that the base is well supported. May it provide your Parrot(s) the additional comfort that we have seen.

Thank you for noting our efforts, one Amazon at a time. Our goal have always been simple and small, that one living at least as long as us. My goal here is to pass along what we have learned so that other Parrots may have a longer happier life, whether for the members here or the viewers that stop by.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! A great setup! Besides watching the cloth for chewing, keep a sharp eye on the wood! It looks like you are using plywood and most likely, the glue is toxic!

Most Reactions