Good Cage for a Quaker?

Vlad

Feb 19, 2014
Parrots
Lineolated Parakeet and Quaker Parrot
Hello, I recently acquired a wonderful Quaker named Riley and I was wondering if this cage: [ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Prevue-Hendryx-Pet-Products-Hammertone/dp/B0002AQ228/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395098297&sr=8-2&keywords=prevue+bird+cages]Prevue Hendryx Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage, X-Large, Hammertone Black: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies[/ame] would be acceptable for a Quaker.

Because this cage is apparently meant for parakeets and finches, I have some concerns about the strength of the bars.

brainfogbetty

Mar 17, 2014
I have that cage for my cockatiels. As far as size goes, sometimes I have 5 tiels in there, but most often 3. Plenty of room for them. It is much lighter than a larger parrot cage, so easier to move around.

The things I don't like about it are:
1. The bars bend easily. Especially hanging something heavy from the top.
The bars are thin and spaced close together.

2. There are 4 small side doors. They are spring loaded and are too easy to push open, so you'll have to do something about that. I zip tied all of mine because I use the large front door to do food, etc.

3. The 2 lg. front doors are super easy to open also. All they need to do is push up on the long bar and boom, the door is wide open. I've put a second lock that they can't open, but it's a pain for me to. If you are in and out of the front door alot, (which I am) it takes longer to get the door open.

4. The feeder dishes that come with it are garbage. They don't fit between the slates.

I bought mine on sale for $118. I originally bought it for an 'outside' cage. During the summer, I bring them outside when the weather is nice for the day. Their other cage is so large it won't fit through my door. Now that I am fostering a amazon parrot, he took over the larger cage and the tiels have the smaller one.

I don't know much about quakers, but as far as room goes, I think it would be ok. Not sure if your bird can bite through the bars though. This is just my opinion, maybe someone else can chime in.

Betty.

PS. Just thought of something else. Because the bars are so close together, it will be hard to put a larger perch in there. That's another reason why the bars get bent.

Last edited:

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
I have this one - well I have 2 of them - for my conures - I think they are the same size as the one you listed, but stronger bars and just 1 large door, closes securly, I love the cage, easy to put together, easy to clean.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/32-Inch-21-Inch-Flight-Cage-Sandstone/dp/B004MZV1Q6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TWD9V4N6Z0X1SSPZRJE"]Amazon.com: A&E CAGE CO 32-Inch by 21-Inch Flight Cage and Stand, Sandstone: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Congratulations on your new family member. I'm sure Riley would appreciate the space, just keep in mind that a lot of quakers are born escape artists and they are stronger than they look and have powerful beaks to be so small.

skygoneblue

Mar 11, 2014
Orlando, FL
Parrots
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure (April, 2014)
My left hand can attest to that. Some relatives have a little bastard of a Quaker who rips into anyone who isn't his daddy. :)

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Zulu, blue quaker parrot (5.30.13)
This is Zulu's home: Amazon.com: New Large Play Top Bird Cage Parrot Finch Macaw Cockatoo Bird Wrought Iron Cage, Include Seed Guard and Double Ladders Play Top *Free Toy Hood* *Black Hammertone*: Pet Supplies

The bar spacing *did* concern me when he was younger, but he doesn't show any inclinations toward sticking his head between the bars. The only thing I do caution against (and have remedied with his cage) are the gaps along the bottom of the cage (covered by the seed guard which I do not use) as well as along the top/bottom of the door. I did cut plexiglass to size and have zip tied it to the outside of the cage so that he can't stick his head between those gaps.

It's a great cage. Nice and heavy without being cumbersome. He can maneuver around the cage with ease. The doors have a little latch on the outside that locks them in place and prevents any escaping. The main door also has a latch that secures it shut.

OP
V

Vlad

Feb 19, 2014
Parrots
Lineolated Parakeet and Quaker Parrot
Thanks for your help everyone!

I abandoned the idea of getting the Prevue cage due to the weak bars, so I am probably going to go with NandayMom's suggestion.

Most Reactions