Good *Larger* Parrot

FA22raptero

Sep 26, 2012
Media
Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island of British Columbi
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (regular variation)
Hello guys,

So I currently own a GCC, and love her to death. It is possible, that sometime in the not-so-near future I will consider owning a larger parrot. I don't mean macaw big, i'm talking no larger than an african grey (but not an african grey :p) Anybody own a mini-macaw? Senegal? Larger conure? I like the idea of birds that are a little bit less common? What's important to me is a bird with lots of personality. After that, I love bright colors, and a bird that is on the quieter side is important (obviously, large bird ≠ quiet, but relatively speaking) What do you guys recommend? Personally, I really like the idea of an illiger's macaw...

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
From what you want quiet , talking ability, colorful. I would say the Eclectus. They are very smart can talk extremely well, mimic sounds laugh and somehow they know which words to say at the correct moment. The eclectus is not a popular bird in my area. Eclectus can be pluckers though so correct food, toys and even providing distilled water verses tap water is very important. The diet is fairly simple No seed, No need for pellets. Fresh fruits veggies, beans, wheat rice. They need alot of time spent with them , they need daily baths..

I have a female red sided eclectus I adore her she is a great parrot. The Vos eclectus is awesome as well. They have a smaller eclectus which is a solomon island I have never seen one of these in person I was told this breed is about the size of a piegon the Vos and red sided are the same size has a Afrincan grey. I have heard I dont know if its true that the larger eclectus breeds are better talkers, this is just something i read I dont know how true it is.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I would also say a Female Ekkie if its colourful you are looking for .

Wha about an Amazon? They are full of personality:)

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I personally love the Senegals and the Hahn's macaw, and obviously the Blue Crown (i have a BCC and he is awesome). But none of these are really "colorful". My sun was colorful, but 'common' and not on the quieter side.
I have a friend with an Eclectus who thinks she is the greatest. He has been very happy with her but i personally don't have experience with them.

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
Ekkies are definitely brightly colored, male or female, and on the uncommon side comparatively. Chico is a quiet bird except when he sees an unfamiliar face or if there is too much excitement in the room (poker night). On those nights he is sent to bed early, upstairs to my bedroom closet were he sleeps in his sleeping cage. When he sees a suspicious character he lets out his 'stranger danger' squawk! and it has scared a number of passers by. Even though they are know for their talking ability, Chico rarely speaks. Males Ekkies can be very clingy.

Have you looked at the Hahn's Macaw? Smallest of the Macaws. Or if you are looking for something in the medium size range then check out a Severe Macaw.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
I adore my senegal. She is relativly quiet and says about a dozen words and phrases, though I've heard ones that had a vocab of 200 and another that don't speak at all. They are jealous and stuborn with suprizing mood swings, but it's all personality and I've never had a creature love me more. There are about three subspecies that have different coloured Vs on their chest: Yellow, Orange and Red. They are determined, spunky, though refreshingly independant when left alone. They want what they want, but as long as they have a little snuggle time every day, they're very content.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Of the medium parrots I have an Alexandrine and an Eclectus... They both talk... The Alex is older than the Eclectus, and he's teaching the Eclectus to talk...

These guys are always out together..

I reckon either one of these species would suit your needs.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
My vote is for an eclectus! :D Hehe.

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
i own a hahns and a gcc - not sure personality wise how different an illigers and hahns are but if noise is an issue i really don't recommend them...

i'm lucky to live in a very old house and our walls are nearly 3 feet thick, solid brickwork... so noise is not an issue, but when our hahns screams... she screams!
The first two weeks we had her i thought to myself many a times "my goodness WHAT have i goten myself into..." but luckily our neighbours didn't hear any of her noise (we checked with them). It may vary from bird to bird though... some hahns/illigers may be relatively quiet... best to get a few opinions.

All I can stress is to make sure to do your research on them if you do plan on getting one, and have no experience with this type of bird, is to talk to many people, breeders or even vets about them. Any type of macaw (be it hahns illigers or the bigger ones) are a completely different kettle of fish then a gcc! trust me... :)

Clueless

Feb 14, 2012
Missouri
Parrots
Secret & MC, two blue front amazons
I adopted 2 blue-front amazons over a year ago. Don't rule out an Amazon!

Mine are a little vocal in the morning and late in the evening. They can be playful, they can be fun, they can be stubborn little fellows.

I vote that you spend some time with different larger parrots - maybe volunteer at a rescue (they always seem to need someone to foster a bird).

Good luck!

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Get a ekkie! They can mimic, are colorful and a good size. Just be careful about their diet. They are sensitive to food and can lack some vitamins.other than that they are perfect! I don't mind noise, I have to if I'm getting a sun ! Im even considering an ekkie in 1 or 2 years. Hmmmm

michgoss

Oct 16, 2012
Lorain Ohio
Parrots
umbrella Cockatoo
two pantagonian conures
lesser sulpher crested cockatoo
alexandrine
Pantagonian Conures are also a good choice although a little noisy at times, they are beautiful clowns and have the ability to speak.

Most Reactions

Latest posts