Good reads

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I just read the Quality of Silence, by Rosemund Lupton, I very much enjoyed is a set in Alaska a mom and her deaf child go to meet her husband, suspense

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I was afraid at first to post this thread, I figured I might get hollered at that this is a parrot forum.. now I am thrilled to have so many books to read!!!!!! I'm getting ready to search Kindle, abd hopeful that will also read to better recommendations from Kindle . How about Parrot books, either as characters or training behavior? But don't stop the Sci Fi!! And The Speed of Dark is about an autistic man that through science has the choice to change his life, but maybe loose himself, I really loved this book... Abd I live that our flock has so many sci Fi fans!!! Who knew!! My memory is terrible these days but I will try and add some of my favorites to the list, Dean Kootz has many I love. Abd I think a book called the Sphere was good. I think some one already mentioned Terry Brooks books. I also liked the Naturalist it's a crime thriller kind of, and normally I don't care for crime thrillers but it was very unique!

I love Dean Koontz, I just recently finished his Jane Hawk Series and Loved it. Can't wait for his next book in the series coming in March. Have you read 'The Watchers' very good? :)

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I just read the synopsis of 'The Dresden Files' Storm Front and it sounds amazing. :)

I'm also a Stephen King fan. I haven't read 'Under the Dome' but Hubby & I did watch the series. We were bummed when it was cancelled. I should add that one to my list.
Mr. Mercedes Series including his latest 'The Outsider.
The Stand, Salem's Lot, Duma Key was okay, but I wasn't crazy over it.
Doctor Sleep is the sequel to The Shining. About an adult Danny Torrance.

John Grisham- A Time to Kill, Pelican Brief, Sycamore Row, The Litigators were my faves. The Summons & The Brethren were okay.

Our very own Terry, (Super Mod) turned me on to Greg Iles & his Penn Cage series. It was so good.

Here's some other good series that I've enjoyed.

Rachel Caine- Stillhouse Lake Series

Robert Dugoni- Tracy Crosswhite Series

Anne Frasier- Jude Fontaine Series

I've read some David Baldacci - The 'Memory Man' was good, but his others, 'The last Mile' was meh, I never finshed 'The Fix' and never started 'The Fallen'.. HA :D

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Laurasea - so glad you posted this thread. I'm getting so many good recommendations. Thank You so much! :D

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I was afraid at first to post this thread, I figured I might get hollered at that this is a parrot forum.. now I am thrilled to have so many books to read!!!!!! I'm getting ready to search Kindle, abd hopeful that will also read to better recommendations from Kindle . How about Parrot books, either as characters or training behavior? But don't stop the Sci Fi!! And The Speed of Dark is about an autistic man that through science has the choice to change his life, but maybe loose himself, I really loved this book... Abd I live that our flock has so many sci Fi fans!!! Who knew!! My memory is terrible these days but I will try and add some of my favorites to the list, Dean Kootz has many I love. Abd I think a book called the Sphere was good. I think some one already mentioned Terry Brooks books. I also liked the Naturalist it's a crime thriller kind of, and normally I don't care for crime thrillers but it was very unique!

I love Dean Koontz, I just recently finished his Jane Hawk Series and Loved it. Can't wait for his next book in the series coming in March. Have you read 'The Watchers' very good? :)

I enjoyed the Jane Hawk series also. I don't know why Dean Koontz books are not considered Sci-Fi though. I think some authors don't want to get labeled or put into the box of Sci-Fi. I think there was a stigma attached to Sci-Fi in the early years, not so much now.
If you like medical thriller's Robin Cook has a lot to offer.

The two subjects I can talk about endlessly.

Parrots and Books.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I love all these books, textsize I'm with Parrots and book endless conversation! I've been so desperately seeking new books , because I have read a lot, not to brag just sharing the delimma ...I hate to say I've read most, but am delighted when new ones are posted. I would like some weird ones to Geek Love is about a circus family that takes drugs to breed circus freaks, it was really a neat book. When they made the series American Horror Story I don't know if it was based if this book?? I never saw the series just the adds. Anyway it tons of fun seeing titles posted, and finding new gems to read!!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
A few authors that I recently enjoyed, these might lean more toward fantasy than sci-fi but I’ll list them anyway.

Daniel O’Malley - The Rook, Stiletto
Kristen Britain - Green Rider series
N.K. Jemisin - the Inheritance Trilogy

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The Eagle Tree by Ned Hayes!!!!! You see the world through an autistic boy who loves trees, and wants to save the Eagle Tree!!! oMG so good

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
LOL I am soooo done with books featuring autistic people (we had this hype with "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time ")
Because everytime someone reads one of those they go "I know how your mind works, because now I know about autism" which is almost as dumb as deciding that everyone with blue eyes basicly has the same personality etc..

(maybe I'll give it a try, I do love trees :) )

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
LOL I am soooo done with books featuring autistic people (we had this hype with "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time ")
Because everytime someone reads one of those they go "I know how your mind works, because now I know about autism" which is almost as dumb as deciding that everyone with blue eyes basicly has the same personality etc..

(maybe I'll give it a try, I do love trees :) )

That's not so much a problem with the books than it is with the reckless assumptions of the people. Lol! But I can imagine that must be frustrating as hell, Christa. Autism has a much broader spectrum than most realize, with all of the variations, degrees and exceptions such a wide range might imply.

"maybe I'll give it a try, I do love trees :)" - This cracked me up.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Lol I like them because they are unique, just happens to autism people in them. The Speed of Dark was set in the near future, and autism has been eradicated due to gean therapy in uturo, but older members of the population now have the chance to undergo treatment.. it's really more about how far would you go to change yourself, and if you change yourself, are you still the same person, I give The Speed Of Dark five stars...The Eagle Tree I give a food four to four and half stars, it's humourous and about personal growth, it was funny sweet and awesome sauce!!! Guess I read a bunch of autism books without realizing it lol, but they were great! But I recommended Geek Love and that's just a book about freaks and a weird and wakey villain, abd dealing with family drama, I was afraid to recommend Geek Love to my stuffy upper crust book club ladies, but they Loved it lol, we had been in a rut of dry intellect snooty books, abd they enjoyed the change of pace, and book club finally became more about books and less about social climbing ;)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I have to add a title to this long and diverse list of wonderful books. I truly love sci-fi, fiction, horror, etc. but I also love non-fiction and history. The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs, A New History of a Lost World by Steve Brusatte. Maybe because I haven't had a chance to read a book in a while but I'm captivated by this one, or maybe it's because a closer look at the ancient ancestors of the birds I share my home with today is fascinating.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Okay, so I've just discovered the author, Wendy Webb and I'm loving her.
If you enjoy, crime, mystery, creepy, thriller, paranormal, psychic & history this author has it all.
I’ve read 3 books and I'm a new fan.
Daughters of the Lake, The End of Temperance Dare, and The Vanishing

I’m really looking forward to finding more gems from her.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have to add a title to this long and diverse list of wonderful books. I truly love sci-fi, fiction, horror, etc. but I also love non-fiction and history. The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs, A New History of a Lost World by Steve Brusatte. Maybe because I haven't had a chance to read a book in a while but I'm captivated by this one, or maybe it's because a closer look at the ancient ancestors of the birds I share my home with today is fascinating.

Went right to Kindle to get! But cost to much, so went ahead and got the Kindle unlimited dinosaur books! So will read in genre with you! Looked good, maybe you can review it for us after you read!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Okay, so I've just discovered the author, Wendy Webb and I'm loving her.
If you enjoy, crime, mystery, creepy, thriller, paranormal, psychic & history this author has it all.
I’ve read 3 books and I'm a new fan.
Daughters of the Lake, The End of Temperance Dare, and The Vanishing

I’m really looking forward to finding more gems from her.

Will check this out! Sounds good!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I just finished Birds of a Feather by Lorin Lindner (non-fiction). It’s about a bird sanctuary opened at a VA facility to help both the birds and the veterans heal together. Enjoyable read that tugs at your heartstrings a bit. One of my staff saw it and thought of me (I work at a library) - so sent it over for me to read :)

john8terry

Jan 24, 2019
Any book recommendations? I am in dire need of good books! I like science fiction. And books that are different like The Speed of Dark, Geek Love, A Prayer for Owen Meany... So any suggestions?
TO SET A WATCHMAN, by Harper Lee. It will make you want to read TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD again(?) for the first time(?).

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Any book recommendations? I am in dire need of good books! I like science fiction. And books that are different like The Speed of Dark, Geek Love, A Prayer for Owen Meany... So any suggestions?
TO SET A WATCHMAN, by Harper Lee. It will make you want to read TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD again(?) for the first time(?).

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I disliked To Set a Watchman. But it did make me want to read the wonderful TKAM again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
If you are a fan of HBO's Sopranos, The Sopranos Sessions examines every episode with insight and commentary. Enjoyable fluff reading! https://www.amazon.com/Sopranos-Sessions-Matt-Zoller-Seitz-ebook/dp/B07JK1Z44B/ref=sr_1_1?crid=E30PFA48QC0C&keywords=sopranos+sessions&qid=1550181106&s=gateway&sprefix=soprano%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-1

Cannot wait to see the feature film prequel "The Many Saints of Newark" set during Tony's youth in 1960s New Jersey! Produced by David Chase and starring Jame's Gandolfini's son as a young "Tony." https://www.indiewire.com/2019/01/y...l-movie-the-many-saints-of-newark-1202033391/

Last edited:

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I love audio books.
Fantasy Brandon Sanderson and The Stormlight Archives is awesome and will take a minute to chew through.
Hyperion, and the Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons some of my favorite sci Fi
11-22-63 is an Awesome one by Stephen King
Stephen Kings Dark Tower series is also a really great sci/fi, horror, fantasy series
Thanks for the book ideas guys

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

Went right to Kindle to get! But cost to much, so went ahead and got the Kindle unlimited dinosaur books! So will read in genre with you! Looked good, maybe you can review it for us after you read!

Did you check the library? It’s where I get almost all my books-both Kindle and audio. You can usually do it from an app and it’s so easy and convenient!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts