Goodbye Charlie

OP
D

dragontao

Dec 30, 2014
Again, thanks all and mh434, I certainly will consider another rescue bird when I am ready. I know it sounds daft but it just feels disrespectful to his memory to rush into getting another right now.

The reason I'd take a rescue bird is that I'd be concerned that a younger bird would outlive me and I just can't bear the thought of not being around to ensure that they would go to a good home and be given the care they deserve. I'm not exactly old but a fit and healthy young bird would almost certainly outlast me.

I've been looking at rescue centres and the number of parrots needing homes is incredible, apart from those who have lost their owners, it seems that too many people don't know what they're letting themselves in for and aren't prepared for the commitment or just want an ornament that sits in a cage and stays quiet all day.

That said, one of the managers where I work knew of my loss and asked me if I'd be prepared to have his father's Grey. He's 82 and not in great health. The parrot (Sammy) is already in its second home, his current owner having taken him on when the previous owner passed away. He's only 14, so I'm worried about his relatively young age because of the reasons I stated, but I have already said if his owner goes on holiday or has to go into hospital (which may be likely) I'd offer Sammy a foster home in the mean time and take it from there if he was unable to go back to his current home.

It's a shame there isn't a rescue centre near me because I'd offer my services as a volunteer. I already volunteer at a bird of prey centre when I have time, but as much as I love birds of prey, parrots are my favourites.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
I'm so sorry about Charlie. He was very loved with you and knew a happy, fulfilling life that he didn't have at the hotel .

These fids leave a big hole in our hearts, don't they? RIP Charlie.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I know it sounds daft but it just feels disrespectful to his memory to rush into getting another right now.
It doesn't sound daft at all and you need to do what is right for you, when (and if) it's right for you.

When I lost one of my dogs, I thought I wouldn't get another at all and just stick to one dog, but I ended up adopting one. It's just how it turned out.

Getting other pets doesn't say anything about how you feel or felt about another one. Every one is different and our relationships with each is unique to him or her.

Storiesoffrankie

Jan 12, 2015
Media
Australia (Gold Coast)
Parrots
Frankie The Green Cheeked Conure
Touching story. He was so lucky to have you. I know it is hard to let go.. But holding onto that tragic day will only get in the way of the beautiful memories you have left of him. Cherish those forever, he is still in your heart.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Dragontao, I too have considered the implications of adopting/rescuing birds that will likely outlive me. To that end, I've made provision in my will for my daughter (now in her 30's) to take on whatever birds survive me. She has enormous love for living creatures, and will look after them with all the care I could wish for. Interestingly enough, she's also considering making provision for them in HER will, in the event that they outlive her, too (while unlikely, it is definitely possible - both our Amazon Sammy and our CAG Reno are less than 20 years old and, according to our avian vet, both are in excellent health).

Don't let fear of a bird's possible long life deter you! Every year a bird has a wonderful life with you is a gift to them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts