Got my first parrot, tons of questions

OP
Z

Zing

May 21, 2016
But IF you end up with a non-cuddly individual which is highly likely especially upon sexual maturity, and then you get a conure or a species 'more likely' to be hands on for your cuddling needs, then the Grey will take a back seat? Greys are high maintenance animals, then with a conure, you'll have 2 to take care of.
The "I'm just going to get the Grey" in spite of all that you've mentioned... I swear I'm not trying to be mean, but I do see red flags, sorry.

No problem, I'll try to clarify what I said:

I don't mean to replace it, more like give it a break when it doesn't want to cuddle. I believe quite a few of you have more than one parrot, right?

Being highly cuddly is something I'd like a lot, but I honestly want something that likes interacting with me. So if it's not super cuddly, I am willing to give it space. There are cons to having a bird that's too cuddly and dependent on me as I have my own business to take care of as well. I'll just work through it when it happens.

It'll be the first time I have such an intelligent species that might be able to talk, so that's why I want it. I've heard your reasoning and I think I'm able to adapt to it in order to enjoy the bird's other traits.

Good luck and keep the questions coming. No dumb questions here.

Eau d'troll is another thing entirely IMO! :)

I really don't appreciate this kind of response as I'm pretty serious with my replies. As I've mentioned very early, if you're unable to give kind and helpful responses, you do not have to say anything. I hope you find something more useful to do with your time in the future.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Zing, our members have taken the time to give you in depth answers to all your questions, they have been very polite and courteous. Please remember, the responses are coming from people with experience who are not only concerned for you and your circumstances but also for the parrot you will be bringing home. You've asked a lot of good questions and received a wealth of advice you can trust and learn from. That said, you can't really expect to censor each and every reply you recieve.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Lots of people do have multiple birds but it opens up a whole new level of complications, from the extra time required caring for both to what happens if they don't get on.

Having said that, there are plenty of options if the bird you choose turns out not to be keen on cuddling - you might be able to meet your needs with something like a rabbit or guinea pig that would be a lot less time intensive than a second bird.

I think it's worth having a chat with the breeder to talk through any concerns you might have, whether allergies, how cuddly they are, anything that's come up on here. CAGs aren't the easiest birds to start off with for reasons given by others on this thread but lots of people do start with difficult species and get on ok. The important thing is to go in fully informed and be prepared for it to be difficult at times - it's a much steeper learning curve than a cat or dog and the more highly strung the species, the harder it will be to begin with.

glutes

Feb 11, 2016
Perhaps you would consider a caique. They aren't terribly loud, they are extremely playful yet just as cuddly(in most cases), they are smaller than a grey but a bit bigger than a green cheek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions