GPS for parrots?

Are you interested in a GPS tracker for your parrot?

• Yes

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Im too lazy to search.. LOL.. There is a bald Eagle that seems to be routinely flown with what looks like a small transmitter attached to its back just over its tail..

okokok here..

outfitting the eaglet with a transmitter, all while working as quickly as possible to limit the eaglet’s exposure to people.

A blue identification band was placed on the birds left foot and a smartphone-sized cellular GPS transmitter was tied to the eaglet’s back with Teflon string.

The transmitter, which is solar-powered and should last the lifetime of the eagle, transmits the birds location every six seconds. When the eagle is perched, the transmitter relays data every 15 minutes.

https://goo.gl/images/GNsHH2

Here is another eaglet transmitter. Think Macaw size ..

https://goo.gl/images/TyQGyu

Last edited:

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Oh duhh.. I should have....... red da thred betta

OK. I feel good about the Marshall Telemetry device for Falconry. I am confident with my Macaws weight and ah.. yep... Rudy will eat anything... eventually... Anybody want to open a dialogue with them? Costs to ship to the States etc..

I'll take nominations. I dont want to hijack this thread..

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
https://marshallradio.com/eu/european-falconry-products/european-falconry-gps-systems

A system I have used and a world leader in GPS tracking that I think may cross over to peoples needs....However it comes at a cost

weighs 8.4 grams, which anyone interested I'd love to know what an avian vet would have to say about the weight being on a parrots leg. FYI- parrot legs and hawk/falcon legs are different anatomically, with BOP legs being designed for grabbing and carrying away prey on the wing and parrot legs being significantly weaker.

This unit advertises a range of 60 miles and about 30+ hours per charge to locate your lost bird.

Rudy a GWM LEGS are intensely strong. so is his bite pressure... Comparatively (BOP vs GWM) that is a really good question. I saw someone post some very detailed info about ages of different Parrots, so yeah... their bite pressure, leg strength, flight lifting ability is probably all documented within ornithology.

BTW.. I have watched Rudy fly with a 2L soda bottle.. I could go with a smaller bottle with water in it. I wonder now.. just how much weight can he fly with? On windy days I will jog with him while holding onto his feet and his lift is intense for a 3 lb bird.. I sometimes feel like Mary Poppins!:eek::red1:

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
I'll take nominations. I dont want to hijack this thread..

ok nominations from me, myself and I have been accepted. I emailed... and linked to p4 of this thread.. ease up mods.. thanks!

wish me luck all.. from what I have read, I am reasonably confident this will work nearly flawlessly with a free flighted macaw..

For future reference, this is all the advice I will be able to offer with ... what I suspect will be a given... success.

Thanks all for this thread!!! This future continued endeavor is another reason of why I am truly here!

unless of course you like to talk politics!!:36::56:

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
"Glad to hear you are interested in our equipment.

Happily for you our main office is actually located in the US so you should be able to purchase directly from here - Marshall Radio Telemetry - American Falconry

They should also be able to help you with any questions you may have regarding our products.

Kind Regards,

Alex"

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Latest posts