Green Cheek Conure or Indian Ringneck??

corkyd96

Mar 5, 2017
I really hope I'm posting in the right place. 😅 I'm looking for advice on which bird would better suit my lifestyle. I live with my fiance and 2 dogs who are very bird friendly (I had a rescued African Gray and budgies) and work 6 hours a day. I would really love a bird who is outgoing and has a big personality. Talking isn't a big deal I just want a good companion. Noise level is also not an issue as Bluey the Gray was very loud when he wanted to be. I just want to hear everyone's opinions, thank you!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I agree 200%. I live with and raise both; they are complete opposite birds, similar only in noise level and sort of in size. What you really need to do is spend some time with ADULTS of both species. Don't bother with spending time with babies; the babies are adorable and will hook your soul. It's the adults you want to spend time with, get to know. They are wildly different birds each with their own unique weird ways. Adults will give you an idea of what you are in for; baby lovey stage is short and deceptive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

corkyd96

Mar 5, 2017
Ok thanks for the help! I know of a local breeder who has both(she's who I plan buying from) I'm sure she'll let me go spend time with some of the birds before I commit to the breed.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Sand1

Mar 30, 2017
Near Clearwater Florida
Parrots
Two Budgies six years old (in 2017)
My grandma & aunt have a single budgerigar. When they are single Birds you are their best friend. Get a hand fed one they will go everywhere with you and talk up a Blue Streak. ; they are funny will play with toys and they are sweet little things you just really cannot get two, because then they will love each other and you will just be some old garbage lady lol. Just food for thought since I know you wanted two other types of birds

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
My grandma & aunt have a single budgerigar. When they are single Birds you are their best friend. Get a hand fed one they will go everywhere with you and talk up a Blue Streak. ; they are funny will play with toys and they are sweet little things you just really cannot get two, because then they will love each other and you will just be some old garbage lady lol. Just food for thought since I know you wanted two other types of birds

too bad he's not looking into getting a budgie. Why did you add to this?

Back onto topic, Indian ring necks have caught my attention lately I think they are great but then again... so are conures! tough choice.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"

too bad he's not looking into getting a budgie. Why did you add to this?

Back onto topic, Indian ring necks have caught my attention lately I think they are great but then again... so are conures! tough choice.
I think he was just using this example of his aunt's budgies to let the OP know that if he is looking for a great companion bird, as he said he was, then he should only get a single bird and not a pair of birds, and shouldn't be swayed to get one of each species he is researching. And he is correct!

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Most Reactions