Green wing macaw talking

kenny2009

Mar 27, 2013
I have a 8-9 year old macaw that talks some but not alor. Iv been trying and trying ro get him to talk more. Is there anything I can do to help him or speed it along or is it because he is set in his ways? Also b y the way im new here and I live in hanover pa and ill ads a few pics of him.
Thanks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364513951605.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364513951605.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,785
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364513969930.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364513969930.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 739
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364514061817.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364514061817.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 961

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
All birds can be different, how long have you had him?

OP
kenny2009

kenny2009

Mar 27, 2013
2 1/2 years and think he has only learned like 2 or 3 new words. He was about 7 when we got him.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
he is beautiful, well not all birds learn to talk a lot this is something they pick up on there own for the most part. i usually just hold normal conversations in my bird room and my birds pick up what they want to. now i do have some i taught to say certain things on command. I know one of our moderators on here has a method of how she got her grey to talk a lot. so i would look into that if you want a desired method of teaching, but usually macaws pick up what they want.

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
My 17 yr old GW has a very limited vocabulary.. Hello..what you doing .. And step up and my first dogs name..But my 7yr old new rescue GW sings the happy birthday song from start to finish..3-4 times a day....In 3weeks he has also learned to say my dogs names..and can tell the difference between them( both Rottweilers)

OP
kenny2009

kenny2009

Mar 27, 2013
I got mine up stairs in the dinning room where we are a lot and the tv but he dont pick much up. But he talks a lot of what he already know and makes a lot of funny sounds and screams at the kids when they are running around screaming its funny. Say eagle, hi, hello,emm when he likes his food, wispers and maybe a few other things. :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I noticed mine really started talking .When I wasnt focased on that and really was enjoying her.That built up are relationship more. Now she talks cause she likes my reaction and seems to want to please me.

OP
kenny2009

kenny2009

Mar 27, 2013
O mine loves me. Not so much my wife at times but every now and again. Talks to the kids a lot when there eating. But I just dont trust him with the kids just because of he would bit one. He does good with all the dogs and we have 3 pits and he just hits them with his beak and the dogs just lick him and chase him around a bit. ( where is the club out of and some of you all as members?) Im in hanover pa and just came across this forum. :)

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Geez Kenny you live pretty close to me I'm located in willow street. We don't really have a club that I am aware of we are just an o line community.

WeimerHeimer

Sep 11, 2012
York,PA
Parrots
Finches, Conures, Amazon Parrots, Cockatoos, & Macaws
I have a 8-9 year old macaw that talks some but not alor. Iv been trying and trying ro get him to talk more. Is there anything I can do to help him or speed it along or is it because he is set in his ways? Also b y the way im new here and I live in hanover pa and ill ads a few pics of him.
Thanks.

Hi Kenny!

Welcome aboard!

Hey I live over in York, PA. My wife and I have a Green Wing, too. We also have a Military Mac, too. And, ...... few other Amazons, 'Too, Parrots, etc.... LOL. We should connect some time! You on FaceBook?

My GW girl is 11 years old, just got her 2 months ago. She says, Hello, Step Up, Cracker, and Apple. Not a real talked compared to some of my other birds. She's not learned any new words since I've had either. Still trying to work on that.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Mine will be a year in May. He says Hello (constantly)LOl and Hi. I think he tries to say "I love you" I would love for him to try to say more however so far he isn't having it. I have also noticed that it isn't as clear as some macaws I have heard so not sure what that is about.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
Mine will be a year in May. He says Hello (constantly)LOl and Hi. I think he tries to say "I love you" I would love for him to try to say more however so far he isn't having it. I have also noticed that it isn't as clear as some macaws I have heard so not sure what that is about.
Dont give up .I thought the same thing about my Macaw . She said a few things and the rest was unclear [this is when she was a year old ].I chalked it up to her being a female [hearing that males talked more.] Well now shes 2 and loud and clear .Trying new stuff all the time [something shes done all herself] .My thought is maybe she was just to young.:)

OP
kenny2009

kenny2009

Mar 27, 2013
He has been making all kinds of new sounds and things this end of winter/spring. Maybe he is trying new things. At least I hope but no worrys if not. We love him anyways. Would love to get a gray as well one day.

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
I'm sure before you know it.. You'll being wishing he didn't talk so much ;);) ..

OP
kenny2009

kenny2009

Mar 27, 2013
Lol.. had him for 3 yeats and hasnt learned that much yet but think je wanys to learn. My wife geys mad when we eay he screams a lot or whenbhe wonts food because he is near the kitchen and living room. Ll..

Most Reactions