Greetings all!

PotentialParrotMama

Jul 16, 2012
Hi there members!
My name is Jenna. I have come to join this forum in the hopes of learning more about parrots and hopefully owning a bird someday.
I have experience with small birds only, Parakeets, Finches, and Conures.
I do not currently own a bird but the thought has always been in my mind that someday I would love to have a highly intelligent feathered friend to keep me company.
I like so many different types that I don't know where to begin with research and I'm hoping that some of you far more experienced than me will pipe up and steer me toward what kind of bird would be a good fit for my household.
I wish to be a one bird household so I plan to devote myself to researching and preparing. I am in no rush whatsoever. Most importantly I want to be as sure as I can be that I will do everything correctly from a husbandry standpoint and that I have been set up to succeed.
I am a Stay at Home Mom of three children ages 12, 10, and 6 and I am married. I am home literally all of the time other than a weekly trip to the grocery store and a monthly outting to a movie or my best friends house for a knitting session. I have a Persian cat who was a rescue, he came to me declawed. I also have a 5lb Chihuahua dog who has been extremely well socialized with other animals and all sorts of people, he has impeccable manners and training. Oh, and I cannot forget my daughter's hamster Bijou!

What I envision in a feathered companion would be one which has the potential for a large speaking vocabulary, is highly intelligent and trainable (I'm really interested in Clicker Training with a bird! I've had fabulous success using the method with Dogs and Cats in the past.), one which seeks out and needs human interaction on a regular basis, is highly affectionate and would be a joy for my family to interact with- not just a single person, though I would for sure be the primary caretaker.
The amount of time I have to spend with a bird daily is anywhere from 6 hours a day to nearly constantly if I could have one which could be out and about in the house with me.

I have always seen Macaws in my head when I think of having a parrot, specifically the Blue and Gold :blue1: and the Hyacinth :blue:
I realize though that these guys are no small commitment and that the bird will outlive me. To me the Blue and Gold would be the pinnacle of birds and I would be absolutely honored to have one in my life. It is not something I would ever take lightly or rush into as there is much to learn.
I find the Hyacinth totally majestic but also slightly intimidating so I doubt that would ever be the one I would end up with.

I also love, love the Eclectus Parrot but I know nothing about it's needs, all I know is that I cannot help smiling ear to ear just seeing one and I've probably watched every Eclectus video on YouTube over and over. I have heard that their dietary needs are quite complex.

I also like the Indian Ringneck.

I would love if someone would point me toward some excellent parrot books I can look up. I'll read anything I get my hands on! Good websites too please?

Again, I am in no rush and I am willing to do whatever it takes to make my furture bird happy.

I appreciate your time, Thanks for reading and I hope to make some new friends here!
Sincerely,
Jenna

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Jenna, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a bird would be lucky to have your family for a flock, LOL. Glad your taking the time to research. I;d suggest a amazon but i'm kind of bias. What ever you decide this is a great place to learn about having a fid (feathered kid). Look around and ask away.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
One of the best basic books I learned from and many others learned from is called Parrots For Dummies. I still use it as a reference.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
One of the best basic books I learned from and many others learned from is called Parrots For Dummies. I still use it as a reference.
She said it a very good book . and don't forget that you may be the primary caretaker and the bird might pick someone else in your family to really bond with, you might be suprised how many threads we get (My parrot loves my .... and I'm the one who feeds it and cleans it's cage.) it's just not fair.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Hi there and welcome to the forum...

The eclectus diet is not at all complex... Fresh fruit and vegetables as their stable diet - about 80%... sprouted seed and normal seeds or pellets, especially developed for the Ekkie...

The thing with eclectus is that they don't do well on added vitamins and minerals, so a natural diet will work, which is a lot easier and cheaper than anything else...

The Ekkie is right up there with the good talking parrots and their intelligence... and a lot cheaper and a lot prettier...

Most Reactions