Greetings from S. Jersey

suzi02

Mar 4, 2010
hello everyone

I recently lost my WBC to a tragic accident. He was with me for 10 years and I hand fed my little guy, we bonded great. He was very playful, but also very cuddly. I have not found Lories to be cuddly.

I am currently looking for a baby WBC, but, have been reserching Grey's. I have not found any article on the Grey's that mention, the companion, cuddle factor. Does anyone have a Grey that is cuddly or are they more shoulder birds ?

also, are there any breeders on here that may have a baby WBC ? I really want a baby to hand feed and wean at least the last 2 weeks, I think that made a huge difference in my relationship with him.

Sue in S. Jersey :rainbow1:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The reputation for a grey is not to be a cuddle bird. I have Timneh and she loves to cuddle in my lap and have her beak and surrounding feathers stroked. They are little treasures that really bond with their guardians.

Last edited:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place - we have several experienced Grey owners who will be able to address this in detail.

In my experience I would consider greys very variable birds. Some of them could be very cuddly, some of then not so much.

If the cuddle-bug aspect is what you are looking for then have you considered conures? Dusky conures are often considered the most 'cuddly' of bird species, and I can vouch for that.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I happen to have a cockatiel who is extremely cuddly, infact, he cuddles instead of playing with toys. The other one would rather sit on my shoulder, singing and laughing.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi there Sue, glad to have you joining us.. :rainbow1:
I have an AG Mishka. 2 years and 4 months old. Hand reared her from 6 weeks.
Mishka likes her head to be scratched, and her wings to be stroked. When taking her out her night cage, she holds on perch then swings back wards, and practically lies on the floor, I then rub her stomach, and tickle her.
Must admit, she is not a bird who likes cuddles. I had another AG GiGi, who unfortunately died, loved to be cuddle. She used to go under my t-shirt, snuggle up, get lots of cuddles, then fall asleep. I guess it depends on the bird.
I do not let Mishka sit on my shoulder at all, they can be very unpredictable.
Mishka is a very loving companion, who talks non stop. I work from home, we chat all day long. If you go into video's I have downloaded some video clips and recording, which I am sure you will find very interesting. It took hours of training, in the beginning. Now days, she learns a new word in a day or two. Her vocabulary is well over 350 words. She sings now and again, and whistles, but talking is her favorite.
Not familiar with the WBC's perhaps other members will assist you.
Take your time, make a wise decision.
Hope this little bit of info was helpful to you.
Let us know what you choose, either way, help is only a finger tip away.....
Good luck

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
The WBC is an excellent decision as far as the cuddle factor goes, your best decision might be to raise another one. Greys are not particularly cuddly from what I know, but caiques are. I also would have to agree with AD, conures are very cuddly; and I happen to know one at my favorite bird store named Lucky. He really enjoys being tickled and rough-housed.

OP
suzi02

suzi02

Mar 4, 2010
thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and responses. I think I am really leaning towards getting another Caique. I know he will not be the same as the one I had, as we all have different personalities. ( and I'm not trying to replace him ..he was one of kind, lots of love and personality packed under that feathered suit ) The only issue I had with the Caique, was he liked to attack certain people for no apparent reason. He never ever attempted to bite me, but was either jealous or very protective of me. ( usually male suitors that visited, but he did also bite my brother when he wasn't paying attention to him, and my brother hand fed him and was with him since the beginning ) I am currently on several wait lists for a baby, and spring is in the air, and hopefully will be able to get one that I can hand fed and create a wonderful bond with him.

Sue in NJ

Most Reactions