Growth on beak

Juanita

Jun 2, 2018
California
Parrots
Ringneck parakeet
My Dad's ringneck parakeet has a growth on his beak & we are not sure what it's from. We've never seen anything like it before.

Attachments

• 0531181822d.jpg
    0531181822d.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 273

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Me, too! Running, driving, or calling Uber!
If you don't have one, you can get on Google or maybe call a regular vet and ask for Certified Avian Vet recommendations...

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That bird needs to see a vet ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Fuji - Moustache Parakeet 6 yrs Old
Where in California are you located? I love my Avian vet, Dr. Attila Molnar. He iis in Calabasas. The phone number is 818 600-1838 (All Animals Veterianary Hospital)

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
Oh wow. I’ve never seen that either. Get your dad to take him to the avian vet ASAP. How long has it been there?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Please update us on how your little friend is doing. I hope he gets help for that growth.

PS. What city in California are you? My Avian Vet's in Hawthorne but there are others nearby.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'd be extremely concerned that the "growth" is actually not a growth at all, but rather a mite infection of some kind. It's not uncommon for mites to form weird "growths" on and around their beaks, and only a prescription medication from an Avian Vet is going to take care of it. And if it's not mites, it could be a growth that is going to continue to grow and grow and eventually make it very hard for him to eat, or even see if it grows towards his eye...

You need to find a Certified Avian Vet only, as you need someone with experience in these things, and that will take a culture/biopsy of the growth and do some microscopy and cytology on it to get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan going.

Most Reactions

Latest posts