Grrrr! I HATE ordering cages!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Excuse the rant but I'm literally about to burst into tears here because I'm so frustrated and fed up of being fobbed off by suppliers.

I normally always go with scarletts parrot essentials because their service is next to none. I know if there's a problem, Scarlett or Tristan are on the other end of the phone eagerly waiting to help you out and they do, without fail, problem solved within that phone call.

When I first got my budgie's cages, I ordered from one company, whose name I can't remember. When my cage arrived (Ii paid around £115 for it) I found out that parts of the cage were broken, along with missing/broken feeders. "Fantastic..." I thought. I got in touch with them, they apologised, offered a refund. I said I wanted a cage, not the money. They told me they didn't have that cage in stock anymore and it wouldn't be in again for a couple of months(!!!). I was furious, but told them I want my money back and I'll order a cage from elsewhere. They can come and collect this one and be done with it.

So my mother lent me around £115 again to go and buy another cage whilst waiting on that refund to come through. This time I went through Zooplus (I'll edit the name out if it's not allowed to be slandered on here). I bought the same cage, similar price. "Brilliant!" I thought. Cage arrived and the plastic supports on it were literally SHATTERED. It was worse than the first cage! So I got in touch with them, they gave me the same response. No more cages left for months blahblahblah, they'll refund me the money, sorry for the inconvenience etc.

Well after all that faff I wasn't waiting around for another company to screw me over - nor could I borrow more money. So I ended up taking bits from each cage to build what was a functioning, fully equip cage. I got in touch with the first company and told them that I was going to have to keep the cage in it's shoddy condition. I think they sent me out some budgie toys as a goodwill gesture, but I can't remember clearly.

The cage was a Ferplast cage and I will never ever use them again. Whether it was the companies supplying the cage, or Ferplast giving out shoddy cages, I don't know. But for that reason and all that run around, I won't go back to using either place.

Here is their first cage, then their makeshift type upgrade.
182914_10150394892915508_6309510_n.jpg

Now; I've just ordered another cage for the budgie's from a Montana cage supplier and I was excited. A supplier, direct from the Montana manufactors. I spoke to the people on the phone to place my order (rather do that than through a system as I felt there would be more error: ordering a cage, not in stock, system replaces cage order with similarly priced/similar cage without asking if okay, etc). So I spoke with them, tried ordering a cage; "not in stock for months". Sigh, okay. What about the next one up, price+size wise. They had it, "Excellent!"

I discussed what I wanted specifically about that cage (they tried offering me other types when Brazil was out of stock) but I told them I wanted a drop down opening at the top of the cage, 15mm or less bar spacing, etcetc. and we settled with Havana (I have one already.) So they knew what I wanted.

I ordered thursday, asked for it to be delivered for Tuesday (as I was working Monday) "No problem Miss Gisicki! We'll delay the order a day so it arrives to you on Tuesday!"

What fantastic customer service I thought, despite the fact I'd had to chase them up on something earlier that day, but I understood they were busy.

Cage has arrived, I'm squeeling with excitement. I start assembling the stand it comes on, pulled out the rest of the cage to put onto the start and LOW AND BEHOLD.

Not my Havana.

I hate hate hate ordering cages.

Next time, I'll pay more and go through Scarlett. I can 99% gaurentee this would never happen with her, I'd get my cage on time, in good condition and THE RIGHT CAGE.

I'm so mad. :(

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Question: Do you hate ordering cages? :54:

....go ahead and slap me silly. :eek:

So sorry about all this!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
LoL@Wendy

Mayden, you slap from the right and I'll do the left...she offered!!! ;)

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Got an update:

They rang me back around 9:30GMT telling me that there was "obviously" a mistake with what they had sent out and it was not the Havana that I had received. (No, really?!) They think it may have been a "cage redesign" I told her NOPE; since I've spoken to other distributors since and it is still exactly the same as it was before.

She said she understands me wanting to exchange or get a refund and so here are the solutions to our problem:
Send the cage back, get a full refund and potentially order from elsewhere.
Send the cage back and exchange for a different cage (she listed some, montana san remo, san remo mini, all have 'plastic cage' bottoms and is one of the HUGE reasons I wanted a new cage in the first place!).
Keep the cage and get a partial refund.

I'm half tempted to keep the cage but it doesn't even have seed catchers, so it's kinda redundent for everything I need in a cage.

:(

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Writing that made me realise I really don't want the cage, it's a nice cage and all but it's not what I wanted and so I'm not happy with it at all.

Rang them and they're going to pick it up and give me the full refund when it's back at their center. Which should be friday/monday. :(

Means I have to wait another week for this all to get sorted and then potentially order a new cage from somewhere.

I'd honestly be happy with a pre-owned havana/brazil cage as long as it was in good condition etc. I'd rather go somewhere, see it, pick it up and come home rather than deal with suppliers again. Eurrrg!

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
Mango - Poicephalus Jardine
Oh I understand you. Here in my country, you don't order the cage but you buy it instantly from a pet store assembled and everything. Double the price if not triple. We all suffer

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
i know it sounds lazy (or crazy) but with things that frustrate me, i tend to just pay a little more to get it over with and make it as painless as possible! :) Sometimes your own sanity and peace of mind is worth a few extra bucks. Sorry it was a pain in the butt.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
i know it sounds lazy (or crazy) but with things that frustrate me, i tend to just pay a little more to get it over with and make it as painless as possible! :) Sometimes your own sanity and peace of mind is worth a few extra bucks. Sorry it was a pain in the butt.

No, I usually agree. Pay a little extra for a piece of mind; I would have been happy to normally but as I'd already paid for decorating supplies for our house, bought them all toys, etc. Adding a £180 (Brazil)/£200 (Havana, which I wanted most!) cage to the list was a bit eeek, when I could get it for £139 (went up to £159 because they didn't have the smaller in stock) and I had £50 left over from that for the entire months worth of 'spence'. I could have waited till next month but the budgie's cage IS now broke and I wanted it replaced asap :(

Scarlett was fantastic, offered me a replacement (albiet the wrong one after some confusion) and said I could pay her at a later date as I'd be screwed around enough with cages. (I swear that woman is an angel!).

Alas, wrong cage so we didn't go ahead with that. Tried to find a suitable alternative, but no luck. Apparently the cages won't be coming into the UK until after September at the earliest... sigh. So I've started looking for pre-owned versions. So far I've found two, one in my parents hometown which I'm HOPEFULLY going to be getting on Mon/Tues (depending when my refund comes in) and I say hopefully because he's got another potential buyer who's supposed to contact him on Friday but he's had a fair few fall through already so he doesn't really have high hopes! (I'm hoping it does, I want that cage!)

He's selling it for £75 with some perches, a cat carrier, disinfectant, and I think a few toys. His bird died in Jan this year though so everything is going to be thoroughly disinfected and I mean BLEACH and left to dry in the sun before any of my fids go near it. Toys probably wont get used for the same reason unless they're lightly used acrylic toys that can be disinfected properly. Same with perches etc.

£75 is an absolute steal though for a £200 cage. I've seen pictures of it, he said it needs a bit of a clean but other than that it's fine. Comes with seed catchers, grate, swing feeders, everything I wanted haha. I'm probably going to give him £100 for it though because I don't want to be ripping him off and he sounds like a sweet ol' gent.

So fingers crossed folks that his buyer falls through :p

I do need to get in touch with my dad though to check he'd be okay picking it up and delivering it to my town. I'm excited again now and I need to not think about it until Saturday because otherwise I'll be hugely disappointed if it gets sold... :(

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
So far, all of my large cages have been second hand. I was able to pick them up locally and move them myself.

I hope that when I finally do order a brand new cage (because I can't get one used locally) that I wont have any hassle getting it! (but I do have experience getting things returned to the vendor/manufacturers!)

So sorry that you had to go through all this! I hope you are able to get the used one just fine!

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
FINALLY!

FINALLY! YEY!

The guy who was supposed to pick up the cage yesterday from the man I spoke to didn't show and so he got told to go elsewhere for a cage as it's now been passed on to someone else (me!)

Went and picked it up today (thanks Daddy G for driving and delivering!), handed over the money (gave him a little extra for the extras and being such a lovely folk!). Took it off it's legs and stuff but left it mostly assembled. Got some little tidbits with it aswell including a half full bottle of disinfectant (which is now nearly empty after attacking the cage with it!)

The cage was filthy. Really really caked in poop, but other than that the cage is perfect! It's exactly what I wanted (Montana Havana with feeders, skirts, legs, etc!)

It's being soaked in disinfectant now and will be rinsed.... scrubbed, disinfected again and then steamed as the final touch. Looks like the poor guys birdy was being fed sunflower seeds alone (not 100% sure though) so I'm less worried about infectious disease killing his bird and more thinking it was diet and lifestyle.

The toys/perches arn't in bad condition but are going to be disinfected and rinsed anyway to be on the safe side.

I'm over the moon, just sad Ii have to work in an hour and I'm leaving Andrew to do all the cleaning! (Okay maybe I'm not that sad!)

Will post pics of the cage and budgie's later/tomorrow when it's all done :D

Still haven't got my refund for the other cage, but I'm expecting that will come through Monday.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Glad you got your cage!!!! If something else goes wrong we can blame it on Wendy....lol.... :D

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Glad you got your cage!!!! If something else goes wrong we can blame it on Wendy....lol.... :D

haha will hold you to it!

The cage came with a lovely java branch perch too. We kept meaning to buy one for them but owell! :D

It's been scrubbed and disinfected and things now, so I'm just finishing a snack then I'm going to reassemble it. So excited!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Take a pic!!!! We won't tell Wendy until its time to blame her... :D

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Glad you got it!!!! I bet it looks great now that it's been cleaned up!

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Grabbed a quick pic last night, it's only the top half of the cage (most decorated as they're terrified of the bottom right now)

Sorry for the flash - and the big shiney circle is the back of a perch.

Brucie is the green blob on the far left hidden amongst toys and Lucie is the big white blob - hard to miss :p

1010600_10152931643045508_731348015_n.jpg

Will try grab more asap :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Looks great! I bet the budgies love it!!!!

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Oh they really really do. They're so much happier, friendlier and less skittish of us and they're also getting more exercise. There is less space 'inside' the cage for flying, but their door/drop down thing is pretty much open when someone is home so they come out and do laps more often. They really needed that :)

Most Reactions