Guess Who Came Home Early....

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
We went to see Folger today before heading to Maryland tomorrow to see my uncle.... We planned to take him home next weekend BUT we were convinced to take him home today:D Not that it took too much convincing:p I thought putting him in the carrier to get him home was going to be a fight but I uncovered him and once he saw the carrier he hopped right in! No prodding needed.

So I dragged down the old cockatiel flight cage when we got home since I don't even have his cage ordered at the moment. Luckily, most of the stuff I ordered for him came in today! Again I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands since he had been in the carrier for a couple hours so my mom got the video recorder out to record what was presumed to be my future pain...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJRzfce2rVA]Folger home - YouTube[/ame]

Completely uneventful... I think she was disappointed:rolleyes:

Some pics of his thrown together setup! Wasn't going to test my luck by opening the door again for pictures...

Should have his new cage ordered and ready to be picked up next week! Not that he is hurting in this setup. It has plenty of room for him.

And some videos of his visit today! I did get bit when I took him out of the cage at the rescue. Again saving my mother from a nasty bite when she got too close. And he did jump up and bite my lip but after the punishment for that one he was pretty well behaved until my mother decided to do that close one that got me nailed protecting her from him.

The Demon Laugh
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VjyoJafESU]Folger demon - YouTube[/ame]

Scraggly Wings
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7_OLsMudsQ]Folger wings - YouTube[/ame]

Being Calm for Once
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NdQPFNwnkU]Folger 33 - YouTube[/ame]

He was actually pretty calm for this visit and didn't seem so hyperactive. So far he is being quiet and not making much noise. Our house stays pretty quiet even with all the birds so I think it will help him stay calm and not so hyperactive.

Well I guess the real challenge begins now!:D:eek:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yay!! I am so happy that Folger is home with you! He looks so happy, checking out his cage:) I think he knows he is now in his forever home. This made my night:)

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Awesome!!!! I am so happy for you both!!

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
Yay. Welcome home Folger! How exciting. Can't wait to see all the updates as he settles in.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Thanks guys! I know my future holds quite a bit of pain but I'm so excited to start working with him on a day to day basis:D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's so nice that he's finally home and getting acquainted a week early :- ) congrats!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Gorgeous boy! I hope he settles in quickly and really gets in the swing of his new healthy life for you. Just take things slowly and you can't go wrong. Oh - and please keep the pictures coming!!!

PS. He is a Corella, isn't he?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Folger is just too cute in that one video!!!! He may be quiet now, just give him a few days. If he stays quiet after awhile, then you got lucky!

He's a Corella or commonly known as Bare-Eyed.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
He won't stay quiet, he is like a kid, more you laugh at him, more he carries on.

We do hope he is not quite as easily over stimulated now that he is in a quieter home. But he hasn't been a screamer even with a moluccan train whistle machine living across from him. :)

I do agree he knows he is home where he ever belongs, with Victoria that is, he'd like tomurder the rest of us in our sleep to keep her all to himself!! :)

So now, let the bleeding..., err fun... begin!!

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
So far Folger is curious about what I'm doing around my room and wants to eat my mother when she comes in the room. So standard behavior from him so far:rolleyes:

He is playing with some of his toys and looks liken he ate almost everything from last night. Offered him our veggie mix this morning but so far he doesn't seem interested in it.

So far he isn't doing the hyperactive pacing he did in his cage at the shelter but he looks tired from yesterday still. He did have a 4 hour visit and then a 2 hour drive home and then watched me throw together his cage for half an hour. All my other birds are being super quiet right now so that probably helps some. Even my sun who usually screams his morning greeting when he sees me getting up.

And yes he is a corella or bare eye!

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Happy?? Is everybody missing the trying to eat mother's face comment... hello... mother here... :)

Actually spent a few minutes couple times today in the room just sitting on the bed talking to him. When I walked in the first time, he went nuts, threw his food everywhere and was all puffed out, well what feathers he has left were all puffed out :) Really wish he could really talk and tell his story. Victoria thinks its aggression, but I really see fear in some of the behavior. I could be wrong and its only wild guesses at this point, but thinking at one better time in his life, he has a younger female as a loving caregiver and possibly the parent (evil mother) who was one of the people who mistreated him or invoked the physical punishment when he bit. He just seems to have a fear of me and don't think its appearance because the first day we met him, he was introduced to me and he hung out with me and had no problems, but once he met and instantly bonded to Tor, he seems to have a fear of losing her or being taken away from her. Okay, granted I may be giving him too much thought process, but still wish so much we could hear what's happened so we know how to best help him. But since he won't be spilling the beans on a shrink's couch anytime soon, guess we're just gonna go the long road of time and patience. Figure I'll need to hang out in her room and just talk to him, play with the other birds or read / play on computer, so I'm there but he learns there is no threat.

Thanks to everyone for worrying about my face, oh wait, no one did... the love... least Folger has a great fan club :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend and anyone on the east coast enjoys the artic break in weather... :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Jen I just read this and I truly do feel for you! :) I'm sure your face is lovely and doesn't need Folger's free facial surgery. My female Quaker had a bad past and is a serious biter. She removed three moles from my neck without anesthesia the first month she was here. In her defense, they were clean surgeries and I'm not sure a human could have done better. She doesn't bite often any more but she holds grudges and two nights ago I leaned against her cage to straighten her cage cover for the night. I was wearing pajamas and no bra and she nailed me in a place that should never make contact with a parrot's beak. :(

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Happy?? Is everybody missing the trying to eat mother's face comment... hello... mother here... :)

Actually spent a few minutes couple times today in the room just sitting on the bed talking to him. When I walked in the first time, he went nuts, threw his food everywhere and was all puffed out, well what feathers he has left were all puffed out :) Really wish he could really talk and tell his story. Victoria thinks its aggression, but I really see fear in some of the behavior. I could be wrong and its only wild guesses at this point, but thinking at one better time in his life, he has a younger female as a loving caregiver and possibly the parent (evil mother) who was one of the people who mistreated him or invoked the physical punishment when he bit. He just seems to have a fear of me and don't think its appearance because the first day we met him, he was introduced to me and he hung out with me and had no problems, but once he met and instantly bonded to Tor, he seems to have a fear of losing her or being taken away from her. Okay, granted I may be giving him too much thought process, but still wish so much we could hear what's happened so we know how to best help him. But since he won't be spilling the beans on a shrink's couch anytime soon, guess we're just gonna go the long road of time and patience. Figure I'll need to hang out in her room and just talk to him, play with the other birds or read / play on computer, so I'm there but he learns there is no threat.

You know, I bet in time you can forge some sort of positive relationship with him. I think he will eventually see you are not a threat and learn to tolerate (maybe even like) you. I don't think you're giving him too much credit for thought process...cockatoos are incredibly smart and have really good memories. Of course his behavior (being protective of his new "mate") is largely instinctual, but that goes for any species (even humans).

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
I totally believe we will have some sense of friendship... I don't think he's mean and knowing the abuse he has suffered at the hands of humans, I can forgive his behavior and give him time and lots of patience. He has so much potential and he's so funny that you can't help but want him to be happy and feel safe with everyone at home.

Allee..... owwwwww.... all I can say... besides bad bird... bad bad bird!!!!

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
So Folger tries to eat both my stepfather and my mother when they go in my room still.... he will actually throw himself at the cage bars to get at them...

He has been hiding behind the snuggie that we made for him most of the time (unless he is eating or attacking my parents) but he came out today to talk to me through the bars. And he is talking and acting funny to get us to laugh from the other room right now. So tomorrow he gets to come out after my day classes if he seems up to it:11:

I shall let everyone know how that adventure goes:)

Most Reactions