Guyana Toucanets as pets?

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
Hi Guys,

Not quite sure where to post this, but i've fallen head over heals in love with these birdies--> Guyana Toucanets.

sadly ireland, due to import laws etc, is very limited on the more rare species. (hell even my Hahns was a rarity to come by here!)

Does anyone here own toucans? what are they like as pets and what are special needs as opposed to parrots they might need? what is the price range for them? and do any of you know of breeders in the UK/Ireland area - if there even are any?

Toco's would be too big for me to house comfortably, but the toucanets would be spacious.

I'm not planning on having one next week, but who knows in the distant future :)

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I knew a guy who had a few toucans. Toucans have very specific feeding requirements, and are pretty messy. They are fruit and insect eaters, and their poop is very loose & nasty. You should feed them mealworms. You can feed them Mynah pellets also. They were friendly, even comical. They like water, and frequently bathe & play in it. There is a lot of info out there, so, do your research.

Most Reactions