Media
Albums
Alberta
Parrots
Lovebird (Scooter) Rest in Peace :(
Hahns Macaw (Odin)
RIP. Baby Budgie Bird :'(
Let me start at the beginning.
6 years ago I took home a baby Hahns Macaw. We spent all of our time together; I was able to do anything and everything with him. About 2 years after getting him I had someone contact me about them needed to re-home their Orange Winged Amazon, I was very hesitant about it since I already had my Hahns that took up the majority of my time. The boyfriend I had at the time said he was willing and able to take on the responsibility of a large parrot, I was ok with that idea since I didnā€™t have the want or time to spend with another parrot. We kept the parrots separated because we werenā€™t sure how they would interact with each other and didnā€™t want ant injuries.
About 8 months after that, the boyfriend moved out and took the Amazon with him. Everything was the same between my Hahns and I, we still did everything together and he trusted me 110%. A few months after that I got a call from the Ex asking if I could take Mickey back for a short time until he was able to move into his own place (he was living with a crazy last that was going to use Mickey as a sacrifice in some Wiccan ritual. Or so I was told). So I went and picked up Mickey and move him, Odin and myself in with the new boyfriend. I told him not to let the close to each other because I didnā€™t want anyone getting hurt. After a bit it was obvious that the Amazon really wanted to be with the Hahns. The Amazon would just crawl down the cage and walk over to the other one so we let them visit and be friends.
They spent days together but were separated at night and while we were at work. Since space was limited and the Amazon always wanted to be with the Hahns we disassembled his cage and let them share one. Near the end of that relationship my boyfriend at the time started physically abusing the Hahns almost every day, the Amazon didnā€™t get much abuse because heā€™s not a biter like the Hahns is. My Hahns went from being a super cuddly, friendly, all around wonderful little parrot to a feather plucking, screaming, biting all around not happy bird. I left that situation and moved back into my own house with the birds.
The Amazon and Hahns still share a cage but obviously attitudes have changed since then. Thanks to the abuse from my Ex I have a lot of trust issues to repair with the Hahns. The Amazon is making this almost impossible, I canā€™t take the Hahns anywhere without him. If I do he starts streaming, tail fanning and just making a hugs fuss which make the Hahns freak out and bite. The Amazon is getting more and more aggressive with me, he will try and bite, fluff his feathers, tail fan and start pinning at me if I come anywhere near his cage or my Hahns. This starting happening after we moved back into my house. Iā€™m very frustrated since I am unable to work with my Hahns at all. It breaks my heart because my parrot and I use to be very close and now Iā€™m lucky if I can get him to come up up without biting me.
I realize that separating them again may fix the problem but Iā€™m worried that is has gone on for too long and separating them is only going to make matters worse. Iā€™m at my wits end; I just want to have my sweet, loveable Hahns back to his old self.
Any advice is appreciated as I would rather not rehome him again since heā€™s been re-homed 6 times previously. It sounds terrible but I never wanted to have Mickey, I had my Hahns and I was happy with just the one parrot. Iā€™ve never treated him any different than I treat my Hahns, he got the same amount of attention and treats. All I want to have happen is having my sweet little Hahns back and I want Mickey to find a proper mate or a new home where he can bond with another parrot without causing an issue.
Please help.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I don't think they should have ever shared a cage. It seems the Amazon has picked your mac as it's mate, with the aggression and fanning and eyes. The obvious move would be to separate them immediately. At least put them in cages side by side to start.

I'm sorry to hear the hardships of this situation. Abusing birds is just so wrong! Glad you got out of that situation, though. I'll let the members with more experience with these two species share their own advice, but please seriously consider separating them immediately. It will only get worse if you don't.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Hello, as I was reading something occurred to me. If the Hanhs was a baby when you had him it sounds like he might have started to change round about the time he was becoming mature / super hormonal? In which case I don't think the behaviour should last forever and the advice seems to be that you have to persevere.

I'm sure everything you explained has had an impact too.

I definitely agree with separating them to different cages!

Is there no sign ex 1 can have Mickey back?

It's a tough situation and I feel for you!

OP
Zoey

Zoey

Jul 28, 2011
Media
Albums
Alberta
Parrots
Lovebird (Scooter) Rest in Peace :(
Hahns Macaw (Odin)
RIP. Baby Budgie Bird :'(
Hello, as I was reading something occurred to me. If the Hanhs was a baby when you had him it sounds like he might have started to change round about the time he was becoming mature / super hormonal? In which case I don't think the behaviour should last forever and the advice seems to be that you have to persevere.

I'm sure everything you explained has had an impact too.

I definitely agree with separating them to different cages!

Is there no sign ex 1 can have Mickey back?

It's a tough situation and I feel for you!

Ex 1 went and bought himself a baby African Grey instead of taking Mickey back :(

Most Reactions