Hahns Macaw Noise Level

Bird and Fish Owner

Feb 27, 2023
I have talked with many people about Hahns and some say they are quiet and some say they are louder than their conures. What are your experiences with these macaws?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So hard to say that any one species is louder then another, unless you are comparing Amazons to parrotlet, that one the bigger bird will be louder, WHEN is its beng loud. Every bird is different. My Amazon Salty is pretty quiet all day except for dinner time. Then he is F_ING loud. Really loud. I'll take a parrot thats loud for 30 minutes once a day then one who is louder all day. Then there is type of loud. Sharp screechy loud is the worst in my book, so smaller parrots make that kind of loud. Macaws, have a deeper loud with more overtones, same like cockatoos.

OP
B

Bird and Fish Owner

Feb 27, 2023
So hard to say that any one species is louder then another, unless you are comparing Amazons to parrotlet, that one the bigger bird will be louder, WHEN is its beng loud. Every bird is different. My Amazon Salty is pretty quiet all day except for dinner time. Then he is F_ING loud. Really loud. I'll take a parrot thats loud for 30 minutes once a day then one who is louder all day. Then there is type of loud. Sharp screechy loud is the worst in my book, so smaller parrots make that kind of loud. Macaws, have a deeper loud with more overtones, same like cockatoos.
Other than that, I am debating between 3 mini macaw species. Hahns, severes, and illagers. I’m not looking for a bird that’s silent because no macaw is like that but not a bird that will rattle the glass or get their noise through soundproofed walls so that I can hear them as I’m leaving the house. What would you suggest?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great question above!!

I strongly believe in having the Parrot CHOOSE YOU! They are far better at it as to them it is all about an emotional connect and not some meaningless want list that most Humans show-up with!

Looking for a Parrot that likely needs to be of "low volume" as a result of where you live or what you want is problematic to begin with as Parrots communicate over distance, which means they are capable of volume from the smallest to the largest. The vast majority of their calls are as a result on unanswered contact-calls and the joy of welcoming or saying good night to the Sun!

I commonly do not recommend Parrots to individuals that do not have experience with them. For those that are undeterred, I strongly recommend that they provide their time for free at their local Parrot Rescue, starting at the very bottom and working up. That way one gets an in their face reality check of life with Parrots and the mess and noise they will make!

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Other than that, I am debating between 3 mini macaw species. Hahns, severes, and illagers. I’m not looking for a bird that’s silent because no macaw is like that but not a bird that will rattle the glass or get their noise through soundproofed walls so that I can hear them as I’m leaving the house. What would you suggest?
When I'm leaving the house is about the only time my macaw rattles the windows. He sees me putting on shoes and grabbing my purse, he starts screaming!!! And trying to talk sense into him at that point is senseless.
Other than that, he talks a lot. Lots of chatter. But not a lot of screaming. But every bird is different!!

OP
B

Bird and Fish Owner

Feb 27, 2023
Thank you all so much. I went to a bird store and sylhet showed me that they have a senior meyers parrot for adoption. I’m thinking about it, but I have heard from some people that they are moody. One second, they are silent, and the next, trying to bite your finger is this true?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You have identified a very wide cross-section of Parrots. I strongly recommend that you stop by that Parrot shop and offer your free time to learn more about Parrots and if they are even close to what will fit your ever lengthening list of wants.

It is far better for everyone, if you experience first hand, what it is like being around Parrots for an extended time, like several weeks.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I think all parrots have the ability to be moody, especially during hormonal times.

I currently have an older Senegal staying with me, and I can't imagine him biting anybody - he's so sweet and gentle. But the other parrots staying with me definitely have tried to bite me more than a few times :) It's all just getting to know them and establishing trust - for most parrots once you know each other's language, it's easy to avoid bites.

I love that you're able to meet some parrots in person - I spent a couple of months visiting my first parrot once or twice a week, and I'm really glad I did. It let me see lots of other birds and their personalities and how they reacted to different people, and helped me know I could handle the noise and mess and had found the right parrot for me.

OP
B

Bird and Fish Owner

Feb 27, 2023
You have identified a very wide cross-section of Parrots. I strongly recommend that you stop by that Parrot shop and offer your free time to learn more about Parrots and if they are even close to what will fit your ever lengthening list of wants.

It is far better for everyone, if you experience first hand, what it is like being around Parrots for an extended time, like several weeks.
Yes, I agree with that and I am planning on doing that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts