Hair dye around birds

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017
Iā€™m having an issue with my mom when it comes to hair dye. She canā€™t afford to go to a salon and since I live with her I canā€™t really convince her not to do it at home. If I make her do it downstairs in the kitchen(my birds are upstairs in my bedroom) would it make a difference. Iā€™m so stressed about this because I canā€™t stand the thought of losing my birds over some hair dye fumes. I donā€™t know how to get through to her and make her find the money to go get it done. I DONT want it done in the house.
(She hasnā€™t done it at home yet and she hasnā€™t done it since Iā€™ve had my birds)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I dye my hair on my main floor bathroom, and my birds are downstairs. I can't even smell the dye down there, I think it will be fine for your birds:)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Though I've not dyed my hair around Kiwi, I used to dye my hair all the time in high school and it never bothered my parents birds. I would even walk around the house and go talk to the birds until I needed to go wash the excess out (never occurred to me at that age not to). I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Iā€™m having an issue with my mom when it comes to hair dye. She canā€™t afford to go to a salon and since I live with her I canā€™t really convince her not to do it at home. If I make her do it downstairs in the kitchen(my birds are upstairs in my bedroom) would it make a difference. Iā€™m so stressed about this because I canā€™t stand the thought of losing my birds over some hair dye fumes. I donā€™t know how to get through to her and make her find the money to go get it done. I DONT want it done in the house.
(She hasnā€™t done it at home yet and she hasnā€™t done it since Iā€™ve had my birds)

The real answer to your question is that warm air raises and cooler air falls! Point being, that the second floor is a much safer place for colouring hair and during that process and a few hours afterwards the Parrots will be happier and safer on the first floor!

Just an FYI: The individual that covers the costs of the family living where it is, most commonly has rights that are at least equal and in many regards greater than those not contributing at an equal level. Another way of looking at interactions is that kindness will get you much further than making demands.

Also, words have meanings and although it may likely be a generational issue, the term: Stress has a very specific medical meaning. Stress, if not reduced, and better eliminated can kill at the worst or serious effect ones health at the very least. It is likely that you are faced with frustration(s). Frustrations are part of life and if seen in the correct light will allow you ways of learning how to avoid frustration by understanding it and correct your part in the cause.

Example: It is NEVER the fault of the Parrot! It is ALWAYS the fault of the Human. This very simple guide to understanding interactions with your Parrot allows you to 'see' what is happening from a very different vantage point. This will allow you to see what you are doing wrong and correcting it sooner! This same change in your Vantage Point, will allow you to see things from the other person's point of view. This allows you to understand their position and by making minor changes in yours or how you are presenting yours will greatly improve the relationship. And, that is always a better place to start!

As stated above: "Another way of looking at interactions is that kindness will get you much further than making demands."

Try it, at the very least, you may likely find that your are less Frustrated.

Most Reactions

Latest posts