Sunny_the_tiel

Jan 14, 2013
Savannah ga
Parrots
Aeros- Grey pied cockatiel
Sunny- lutino cockatiel
Jewel- parakeet
Gem- parakeet
I have had my cockatiel, Sunny, for almost a week. He is 4-6 months old and his previous owner hand fed him and all of his cage mates. I haven't seen him eat from his bowl, and I don't ever see opened seeds in the bowl that shows he has eaten from it. But when I take him out of his cage and give him food from my hand or a small dish he eats constantly. Any ideas as to how I can help him eat in his cage? I work 5 days a week and want to make sure he is eating enough.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Do you know what the breeder weaned him on to? They usually weaned anywhere from a month and a half to two months old. At the beginning of weaning they will eat a lot and after 3-4 months of age they eat less. Whatever they weaned him onto you need to feed the same thing at the beginning then change it once he's settled in. Also make sure he knows where his food dish and water dish is.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You may want to relocate the dishes to another spot in the cage, or look into getting different dishes that can be placed in more easily accessed areas.

OP
S

Sunny_the_tiel

Jan 14, 2013
Savannah ga
Parrots
Aeros- Grey pied cockatiel
Sunny- lutino cockatiel
Jewel- parakeet
Gem- parakeet
Okay, I'll try both of tose ideas, I just finished his feeding and he seemed starved. I'm going back to the lady who I got him from tomorrow to pick up a larger cage. I'll ask what she was feeding him.

Most Reactions