Hand-feeding a 3-month-old CAG

Dodoshwedo

Oct 16, 2014
Canada
Parrots
My 2 girls: a CAG named Dragon and a Caique named Angel.
Hi everyone!
We brought home yesterday a 3-month-old CAG baby. Our breeder gave us pellets and hand-feeding formula. He said she's eating solids but to give her 10 "pipettes" of hand-feeding formula every night before bed until she refuses it. He said you can do that indefinitely and he feeds this to his own 15-year-old african grey from time to time.
Is there any harm in that?
I'm concerned that this will result in an unweaned bird or psychological problems down the road. Here's what happened:
On the first day home, I fed her the formula in the evening. She was vocalizing and being restless before and after, settling down 10 minutes after having been fed. Today, on Day 2, she was acting the same way, so I started feeding her the formula, but she refused it after 2 pipettes and freaked out, vocalizing loudly. I put her back in her cage and she paced and climbed around frantically, settling down after a good 20 minutes (I decided to ignore her behavior because she was having a tantrum).
Should I stop feeding her that formula? She's already eating pellets and fresh fruits and vegetables like a big girl.
What do you think? We had her out all day, trick-training her in small increments, maybe she was over-stimulated?!
Thank you for your response.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Are you experienced in hand feeding a parrot? Did the breeder inform you that the formula must be a certain temperature, and that feeding utensils should be thoroughly cleaned/disinfected after each use?

At 3 months your baby should be just about weaned, but that doesn't mean to stop giving formula cold turkey either. It's important to keep record of her weight.

What is her feeding response like?

OP
D

Dodoshwedo

Oct 16, 2014
Canada
Parrots
Yes the breeder told us to heat it to 102F and to disinfect the pipette in hot water before and after. My boyfriend and I practiced it in front of him a couple of times because this is our first time handfeeding. So last night (day 2), the CAG rejected the formula on the 3rd pipette and started getting upset and flying around, and we tried 3 times to get her back onto the table, but she was resisting. We finally put her to bed in her cage by covering it. In the morning, we saw that she has eaten all of her pellets overnight. And she doesn't seem hungry at all this morning.
So we decided to stop the formula, since she's eating solids. We might be tempted to feed her when she's getting restless at 7-8pm, but we will resist. What do you think? And what do you think of my breeder's CAG who still gets fed handfeeding formula on some nights?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Nothing wrong with handfeeding a little in the evening IMHO. You could call it 'comfort food'. :D Also, if need should ever arise, if your Grey is used to being fed via pipette/syringe, it will be easy to administer meds this way. ;)

robopetz

Dec 2, 2012
Hawaii
Parrots
Congo African Grey - Beemo, Sun Conure - Charlie, Lovebird - Benny, Zsa Zsa - Cockatiel, Poot - Red Vented Bulbul
I hand fed majority of my babies. Currently feeding my baby CAG too, just 7 weeks old now. I am wondering why your Grey gets upset though? Normally they will reject it because they want to wean but thats it, not get upset? Dunno, every bird is different. lol. Its good your bird is eating on its own and at that age he should be wanting to give up formula. Does he eat throughout the day? If so, I would just offer a feeding once a night, if he rejects it the oh well that was his opportunity, he does know how to eat so if he does get to hungry he will eat. Keep it to once a night as much as he will take until he dont want any at all.

BTW Congrats on your first Grey and did you name the lil one? Pics? =)

OP
D

Dodoshwedo

Oct 16, 2014
Canada
Parrots
JerseyWendy, I decided not to stop giving formula cold turkey. I realized that my african grey barely touches her pellets during the day, so she's not ready to be weaned yet.
robopetz, I noticed she only eats her pellets AFTER we've fed her formula and covered her cage for the evening. Also, she doesn't like to be in her cage and throws a tantrum until we take her out. So far we ignore her until she quiets down, then we take her out as a reward. What's the right thing to do? Is this normal?
Here is a video I took of her behavior today:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I23eKZ65m8"]African Grey baby's 4th day home - YouTube[/ame]
Thank you for any insight you can provide!!
Oh and we named her Kaerys the Dragon :)

robopetz

Dec 2, 2012
Hawaii
Parrots
Congo African Grey - Beemo, Sun Conure - Charlie, Lovebird - Benny, Zsa Zsa - Cockatiel, Poot - Red Vented Bulbul
Sounds and looks like you are doing all the right things and looking at the video, Kaerys looks like she just isnt used to her new home yet. In time she will settle, just getting used to the new surroundings and people. Shes adorable by the way =)

OP
D

Dodoshwedo

Oct 16, 2014
Canada
Parrots
Thank you robopetz, you were right! She did settle quite well and since she is now 15 weeks old, we stopped giving her hand feeding formula and she stopped freaking out in the evenings. I think that helped bring her into adulthood. She is now so much calmer and more trusting.
Sorry about the grainy sideways pics, I don't know how to turn them upright and the iphone camera sucks!

Attachments

• 2014-11-21 15.17.06.jpg
    2014-11-21 15.17.06.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 2014-11-21 15.16.47.jpg
    2014-11-21 15.16.47.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 229

robopetz

Dec 2, 2012
Hawaii
Parrots
Very cute! I am glad she has settled in well. My baby Beemo is 8 weeks old now. Getting more and more active everyday. Love them! Lol

You have a Caique too? So jealous, they are illegal here in Hawaii =(

OP
D

Dodoshwedo

Oct 16, 2014
Canada
Parrots
At least you're living in beautiful Hawaii instead of up north in Canada!:09: Happy Holidays to you and your flock!

robopetz

Dec 2, 2012
Hawaii
Parrots
Thanks! Happy Holidays to you and your flock as well =)

Most Reactions

Latest posts