Hand feeding formula

Kar199

Oct 12, 2016
Hey,
I got a problem with my love bird baby. I have a couple of lovebirds, the mother layed her first clutch of 4 eggs awhile ago, the first 3 babies died but the last one survived and she's now 3 weeks old. But the problem is that I noticed that the male wants to make her go out of the nest so the mother can lay eggs again, and he's biting her on her head. So I've decided that I'll take her out and hand feed her. But I searched in all the pet stores I know and I haven't found the hand feeding formula anywhere. Some people told me you can feed her baby's cerelac, is that true?
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
NO! Please ONLY feed hand feeding formula. You can buy it from Amazon for a good price; I use Katee EXACT.

A better solution than removing her for hand feeding, unless you are able to stay home most of your day, have a brooder, a gram scale, a confection thermometer, a hundred other things, and an avian vet on standby, and are willing to obsessively research, is to remove the father from the cage. Then when the baby is done with the box, remove the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quakerella

Apr 2, 2012
Canada
Parrots
3 quakers, 2 indian ringnecks, 6 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, 1 budgie, 1 eastern rosella
I agree with SiverSage. Only handfeeding formula, but as he said it is a full time job with a baby that young, night feedings too. Good idea to take the father out and let the mother take care of the baby, then remove the nestbox.

OP
K

Kar199

Oct 12, 2016
Ok, thanks guys. I removed the father as you suggested. But ain't that gonna affect on the mother and won't feed the baby or something?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Removing an aggressive father is pretty common practice. Keep an eye on the baby, but the mother should feed him.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Are you providing enough food? Is there something stressing her? Please don't breed this pair again.

OP
K

Kar199

Oct 12, 2016
Yes I am, I also provide them vegetables everyday..

Most Reactions