Happy Hatch Day, Dexter!

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Today is Dexter's hatch day and I wanted to share the story of how he came to join our family. A year ago, I never would have imagined I'd have a parrot. It wasn't even a glimmer on the horizon.

Every few weeks I went shopping in a pet store, getting dog food for my two hairy beasties. There was a sun conure there in a large cage that you could see right when you came into the store. He was gorgeous, and also very friendly and clowny and outgoing. It became a habit to stop by his cage and noodle around with him a bit each time I went to the store. As the months passed, I started to become quite fond of him (I'm assuming it was a him) and my son would spend the whole time we were in the store talking to and playing with this bird. Each time we visited, it became harder and harder to leave without him. One day in particular, I left with a lump in my throat and a child in tears saying goodbye to our feathered friend. But, I couldn't make the decision to bring an animal into our lives on a whim.

I didn't know anything about birds, so I started researching. I realized that a bird could actually have a pretty happy home with us. It would only take minor changes to create a safe haven away from the dogs that also happened to be a space in the house where we spend a good deal of time. So, he could be safe and included in our daily happenings. I learned about the care and feeding of a pet bird and once I started to image it could work, I started working on DH. My husband loves the dogs, but is not really into any other animals, so he was the one who needed convincing. It didn't take long since he knows I'm such a nurturer and wouldn't even bring it up if it wasn't in the best interest of the animal.

So, for my birthday in June 2015, from DH and the kids I got an interesting "decorative" item (which was really a bird toy) and a lovely card, with a picture of my new bird. He had not put a deposit on the conure because he wanted to be 100% sure I really wanted him before bringing him home. Of COURSE I wanted him. So, we went out the next morning to a local parrot store, bought a huge cage and all the perches and toys any bird could ever dream of. Then we went to the pet store to pick up the bird and he was GONE!!! After having been in the store for many months, he was purchased an hour before we went for him. I was very sad, but my poor son was CRUSHED.

At that time I took a pause. I knew we really wanted a bird. But, knowing how the universe works and that everything happens for a reason, I decided to take the opportunity to research a little more into parrots and really try and find the best species for our family. It didn't take long for me to zero in on the Eclectus, it felt like the right choice, so I started trying to find one. It happened that a semi-local bird store had one that was still being hand fed and we went to meet him. It was love at first sight. We had to wait a month for him, and went to visit a couple of times before we were able to bring him home in early July.

It's only been 9 months, sweet Dexter. But you've become such a big part of our family that I can't remember life without you. And, I don't want to. Happy hatch day, my love :smile015:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Your story brought tears to my eyes, what a wonderful story of how Dexter joined your family:) I love it when things work out like this after such a disappointment as happened with the Sun...I have no doubt this was meant to be!
Happy Happy Hatch Day Lucky Dexter!!!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Happy Hatch Day Dexter! Such a handsome boy and so fortunate to be a part of such a wonderful family.

Thank you for sharing Dexter's sweet story.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Happy Hatchday Dexter :D!

I LOVED reading your story :). Wow, that's amazing what happened about the conure. That really shows how he wasn't meant to be, because Dexter was waiting for you instead!

ClatteringConure

Mar 18, 2016
USA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure: Loki | Mauve Budgie: Sturm | Violet Green Budgie: Raine | White-Faced Cockatiel: Shade *Gone but not forgotten*
Happy hatch day Dexter!

A similar thing happened with me with Loki. I had planned on getting a cockatiel but when I wanted to get it it was gone. So I got Loki instead because I had interacted with her the day before while in the same pet store the cockatiel was in.

So I agree with everyone else everything happens for a reason and I would have no other bird than Loki.

Thank you for sharing your lovely story and I am so glad Dexter can bring you and your family such joy. :)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I've followed his progress since almost day 1. Reading this made my night. Happy hatch day little dex!

Has his difficult period from before passed?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Happy Whelping Day, lad. Oops wrong species. Congrats just the same.

OP
DexMom

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I've followed his progress since almost day 1. Reading this made my night. Happy hatch day little dex!

Has his difficult period from before passed?

Pretty much. He's back to his old self about 90% of the time. He has some ornery moments, but I've gotten much better at reading his body language and picking up on the cues that it's time for me to just give him space or let him be. We've started working on target training and he seems to be connecting with me a bit better. It's like we're finally figuring each other out.

Even when he was acting all cujo-like and biting, I still paid him lots of attention and made an effort every day to get him back. But, it was hard some days and I can totally see how people end up giving up if they are not 1000% committed to a lifetime relationship with their parrot.

OP
DexMom

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Thanks for the happy wishes everyone! Dexter had a happy day.

My daughter made some cute decorations for his cage:
108b573b-1f4e-49ef-b440-d4e15a18cc2d_zpsoprofrbo.jpg

He even had a feathered friend over for his party (we're budgie-sitting) and a mini corn muffin he enjoyed destroying and throwing all over the place:
a8986568-e29d-41cc-8ff7-fc1ddc48b4fc_zpsvjjgulv9.jpg

I know, we're strange people, but we love our pets ;).

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Happy Belated Hatch Day, Dexter!

Thank you for sharing the story of how he became a part of your family. He's a lucky bird, as your love for him shines through in every post you type.

And I'm so glad that things have smoothed out between you two now that you've become even more adept at reading his body language and judging his moods. Complex little guys, eh?

Oh, and I love your daughter's cage decorations! Shows that the love for Dexter is a family affair!

Most Reactions

Latest posts