Happy hut not so happy

Elle82

Jan 18, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
A beautiful little girl named Frankie, she is a blue Quaker parrot.
My worst nightmare came true. Frankie, my beautiful little 3 year old girl :blue2: started plucking :(:( Luckily this is not a behavioral issue, but a physical one from getting up to mischief!!

Never before has she exhibited this behavior. I noticed it straight away and immediately called my amazing avian veterinarian.

As soon as I mentioned on the phone that she was a Quaker and had started ripping out the feathers on her back between her wings, I was told to bring her in immediately.

After all sorts of tests I was taken into a room to view an x-ray. The x-ray revealed that my naughty little girl had decided to start eating her most favorite thing in the whole world (apart from me of course!) her happy hut.

The cause of her plucking was from pain and discomfort in her stomach due to a blockage from the foreign material (Happy hut). Frankie is going to be going and staying overnight in a few days so that the blockage can be removed.

So now I need your HELP!! :confused:

I need suggestions of what I can use to replace her happy hut. Frankie has used one for the last three years. We live in Sydney and at the moment the weather is hot so she is able to sleep comfortably on a branch in her cage, but when winter comes around it will be very COLD. Frankie also uses the hut when she wants some quiet time to chill out. The vet suggested making one out of hard wood but I am most definitely NOT good with my hands. I also didnt know if a hut made out of wood would be as comfortable and inviting as her hut.

Has anyone come across any type of hut or similar that is not made out of fleece??? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance Elle and Frankie :):)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Hi elle82, welcome to the forum

first and foremost congratulations of being so diligent with your bird!!

not many parront owners would have caught that so quickly.

Happy huts are fun, but so very dangerous. only certain types of birds really should have a hut, the larger parrots not so much.

it may just be a case of your bird being bored,resulting in chewing (I'm not sure if you have plenty of toys in the cage) or any free flight time

foraging, & shreddable toys may help with this issue.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Your bird is lucky to be alive. Good thing you're on top of things! Don't worry, she will be able to sleep just fine on a perch. She may complain a bit at first but she'll get over it, and be out of danger from those things. And probably less hormonal to boot. :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Oh no, I'm so sorry this happened. That is my nightmare too. I'm glad your vet got to the bottom of it quickly. That is a great A vet indeed! Follow the link that JerseyWendy posted. Lots of brilliant replacements there. I use a happy hut too but this weekend I am going to a petstore to buy materials to create my own safe happy hut inspired by that thread!

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
Our beloved little Quaker Lulu would have been heartbroken if she had to give up her happy hut. I think if you look at the condominium nests that Quakers build you realize it is a natural thing for them. Her hut was her bed, safe house, refuge etc. she took her favorite toys to bed with her and would lay on her tummy and sleep so soundly her little head would fall out the front. She never chewed on it however, just undid the hangers. I do still have a couple of happy huts that were not fleece but rather pretty material with parrot motifs. You should be able to find those. I think I bought mine on eBay. You are welcome to them if you want to pay the postage though.

OP
E

Elle82

Jan 18, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
A beautiful little girl named Frankie, she is a blue Quaker parrot.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome messages and quick responses :)

Crimson - I am unsure why she has suddenly turned on her hut. Frankie has a minimum of 5 hours a day free flight when I come home from work, and when I'm not working she is out and about even more. One issue that I have noticed lately is her lack of interest in her toys. She has never been a big fan of her toys, but the few that she did actually play with she has become disinterested in.
I have boxes and boxes of different toys that I have tried to introduce to her by playing with them in front of her and leaving them out in her vision before trying to incorporate them into her cage but for most she wont have any of it.
I have tried different foraging toys but she wont have a bar of them either (I know she can use them as I have seen her) Maybe she's spoilt?!?!?!
I'm at a loss as to why she started eating the hut and why I cant get her interested in anything I try to give her for entertainment :(

BoomBoom - I thought that after 3 years with her hut that she would be fine. I guess you never know when behavior can change. I Would love to see what you come up with when you make a 'safe' hut :)

Thanks horsesculpter - I will check with my vet about a possible material replacement. I have a feeling he is going to be strict and tell me hard wood only. I hope that will be comfortable enough.

Most Reactions

Latest posts