Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I'm planning on an indoor and possibly outdoor aviary in the future but the future is 2+ years away 😞
I have considered another Quaker but there's always the problem...and that's Tony. He's a notorious attack bird. I've tried for him and my GCC to at least be able to be out together at the same time but no luck, he actively seeks out a fight, he does the same to the cockatiels.
He is nice to the budgies though, that is now. Grim bears his past attack, she's missing one of her nails but that was due to me not realizing I needed to put something on top of his cage to avoid toes being bitten.
I just worry if I get another Quaker I'll have yet another bird that can't be out with other birds without very close supervision.
My second Senegal, Georgia, was sweet at first. After a short while, she got territorial and would attack any parrot that came through her territory. I had to start making room aviaries because of her, for the safety of the other parrots. (I did not put her in the aviary because she was a great flier and the first Senegal was clipped his whole life and still growing in.) She has changed a lot, too, with the addition of more Senegals. It seems that she benefitted from having too many to attack at once, versus just one to obsess over. They all evolve daily.

I think I touched on this in two other treads, so high-level:
Parrots are supposed to learn how to interact with many other same-species parrots from growing up in a clutch, with both parents, which is part of a flock. (That's a lot of interaction!) With "bred" parrots, they are pulled from the clutch before their eyes open, so they see humans as the provider (filial imprinting). My Georgia likely has no recollection of ever seeing another Senegal, much less interacting with one. I got her at the age of 10 to 12 years old, and now she if finally trying to learn to interact long after that first formative year of her life has passed. Worse, she is trying learn to interact with three other Senegals who were also lone-parrots their entire lives. They've had no example and no "puppy playtime".

Thread 1: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/housing-multiple-birds.96240/post-1022947

Thread 2: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/opinions-on-companion-birds.95857/post-1025221

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I think that similar species or sized birds can form a flock and get many benefits as they might with a same species bird. IMO.

I agree. The sanctuary where I volunteer lets the birds decide who they want to spend time with and there are more cross-species best friends than there are same-species.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I think that similar species or sized birds can form a flock and get many benefits as they might with a same species bird. IMO.
As my profile notes, I am keeping two same-genus, different-species Conures together.
Milton: Eupsittula aurea (Peach-fronted Conure)​
Pumpkin: Eupsittula pertinax (Brown-throated Conure, or St. Thomas Conure)​

They are doing okay. They have full liberty together, in my Florida-room aviary. They definitely lack the "magic" and "spark" of the same-species pairings I've been a part of with Senegals, Green-cheeked Conures, Cockatiels, etc.

Because they are co-existing well, but not bonding, I am looking for same-species, opposite-sex companions for each of them. Adult PFCs and BTCs seem somewhat rare.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
As my profile notes, I am keeping two same-genus, different-species Conures together.
Milton: Eupsittula aurea (Peach-fronted Conure)​
Pumpkin: Eupsittula pertinax (Brown-throated Conure, or St. Thomas Conure)​

They are doing okay. They have full liberty together, in my Florida-room aviary. They definitely lack the "magic" and "spark" of the same-species pairings I've been a part of with Senegals, Green-cheeked Conures, Cockatiels, etc.

Because they are co-existing well, but not bonding, I am looking for same-species, opposite-sex companions for each of them. Adult PFCs and BTCs seem somewhat rare.

The way Cotton responds to the few videos of African ringnecks vocalizing does make me sad he's not likely to have an ARN friend. Any available in my area would be coming from the same place he likely did and I don't know if I would risk it unless I could quarantine the new bird elsewhere. With his history and personality I 100% think he'd be happiest in an aviary situation that knows ARN well and could accommodate his nudity, with other ARN. I only know of one in the US (I'm not at ALL thinking of him leaving but I did research to see how plucky ARN fared in different settings and came across this sanctuary).

Golly I do love him a lot. He's my equal in many ways. And I will probably always wonder if I'm doing the best for him!

Most Reactions