How do you spend quality time with your parrots

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi! Iā€™m curious about how people spend quality time with their parrots. After I come from school I do spend lots of time with my bird but Iā€™m not sure if it counts as quality time.

(Sorry for how many times I used the word quality šŸ˜‚)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty is out of cage 6-7 hours a day, and his cage and play-chain are right in the middle of our open plan house, so he is "with" us for the whole time. But, Salty and I we do trick training every single night for 15-20 minutes, of intense one on one communication with each other. Been doing that for over 8 years with him, and he looks so forward to this time each night that if I miss a session (like I did tonight, presenting a seminar to the local parrot club) he is PISSED OFF the next day. ANd we spend some time giving him scratches, when he is in the mood, or play fighting with him (which doesn't last long because it always escalates into real fighting).

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Salty is out of cage 6-7 hours a day, and his cage and play-chain are right in the middle of our open plan house, so he is "with" us for the whole time. But, Salty and I we do trick training every single night for 15-20 minutes, of intense one on one communication with each other. Been doing that for over 8 years with him, and he looks so forward to this time each night that if I miss a session (like I did tonight, presenting a seminar to the local parrot club) he is PISSED OFF the next day. ANd we spend some time giving him scratches, when he is in the mood, or play fighting with him (which doesn't last long because it always escalates into real fighting).
Omg thank you so much! I also do fifteen minute training sessions but I didnā€™t even THINK that it would count as quality time for some reason šŸ˜‚ also the name salty is soooo cute for a parrot!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well thank you, that is so nice to hear.

Yes, that 15-20 min of intense 1 on 1, to me, is my critical link to Salty. He so looks forward to it.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I would say that any time with you out of the cage is quality time. Just let them hang out with you, whether they like to perch on your shoulder, ask for scratches or play with stuff in front of you, it all counts.

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Well thank you, that is so nice to hear.

Yes, that 15-20 min of intense 1 on 1, to me, is my critical link to Salty. He so looks forward to it.
I would say that any time with you out of the cage is quality time. Just let them hang out with you, whether they like to perch on your shoulder, ask for scratches or play with stuff in front of you, it all counts.
Thats good to hear!! I just let him chill on my while I do work so Iā€™m glad that counts!!!

marina&zizel

Jan 17, 2024
Parrots
One cockatiel, Prince
Hi! Iā€™m curious about how people spend quality time with their parrots. After I come from school I do spend lots of time with my bird but Iā€™m not sure if it counts as quality time.

(Sorry for how many times I used the word quality šŸ˜‚)
I usually study next to him, I try to read stuff out loud too! Ofc I have other times where I spent time actually paying attention to him (giving him treats and just stupidly singing together) but he's always been a great study buddy

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Bumble is out most of the day since I primarily work from home. Although obviously I'm not fully focused on her during that time, I talk to her and when I get up to get food or whatever, she flies onto my shoulder and we sing a little song, and I'll take a break now and again to give her some skritches. In the evening, believe it not not, she LOVES to watch "her TikToks" for a little bit (bird accounts and Puppy Songs are her faves). And I've recently decided to start doing short training sessions with her again because it distracts her from sitting on my glasses and plucking my eyebrows for me šŸ˜‚

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Every bird is different.

The two most social birds are Bingo and Bella.

Bingo is bonded to me only and our quality time is in the morning and evening. What we/he does is up to him.
I open his cage and sometimes he wants to sit in the window. Sometimes he sits with me.
If with me he might just groom himself or want scratches.
Sometimes he wants to play (as written above with an Amazon play doesnā€™t last long).
But I also give him a scratch when passing his cage.

Bella is bonded to my wife.
She has the most out of cage time, around 6 hours.
again she chooses what/where, and how long.
she accepts cuddles and scratches only from my wife.
She enjoys taking her ā€œred butt showerā€ with me.
She mostly hangs out in the kitchen and bathroom.
she talks alot and she is always paying attention to what we are doing and talking about.

The Twins are more of a hands off project.
I want them to bond to each other not so much to me.
They also have out of cage time mornings and evening.

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Denim cobalt linnie (neelu)
I love this threadā€¦ and hearing about everyoneā€™s bird babies
I think all birdies are different in how THEY like to spend time šŸ„°
One of my birds likes to snuggle her face to mine when Iā€™m lying down. She also loves it when I play with her favorite toy WITH her. She likes when I talk to her abs listens intently, also loves playing Pokemon go with me and loves when I read her childrenā€™s books that are 3D or pop up style .
She will do trick training, but itā€™s not her favorite thing.
With her dad, she loves play fighting and will fight to protect the pens on his desk, they play beak tag, he also takes her to the bathroom mirror to play mirror peekaboo.

The other birdie is a Linnie so she is different. She likes to sit on an eye level U perch thatā€™s on the outsode of the cage, and watch me do things, she gets a kick out of it . She also likes to ride on my shoulder , LOVES to be in the kitchen with me while I putter around. watch or help me peel fruit or put dishes away (I donā€™t cook when sheā€™s there obviously!!!) she also loves to burrow and while I discourage it in general, when she gets too hormonal in the spring and is being a terror, I will let her have supervised burrowing with mommy in the evening. Iā€™ll make a big duvet cave next to me or on my chest and let her sit in there, and she will preen, fluff up the blanket, and give herself a head massage while she looks at me. She loves it when I talk to her and tell her how pretty she is.

Both the girls love it when I sing to them. The budgie will fly to my guitar and dance up and down the neck and try to sing along.

She also will sing and with me to songs she likes

I think if you experiment you will notice what they like, things that get them chirping excitedly, acting joyful, or even just a fluffy one leg beak crackle kind of contentmentā€¦

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I usually study next to him, I try to read stuff out loud too! Ofc I have other times where I spent time actually paying attention to him (giving him treats and just stupidly singing together) but he's always been a great study buddy
Oooooh I do that sometimes too!! Iā€™ll try to do that more often with him

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Bumble is out most of the day since I primarily work from home. Although obviously I'm not fully focused on her during that time, I talk to her and when I get up to get food or whatever, she flies onto my shoulder and we sing a little song, and I'll take a break now and again to give her some skritches. In the evening, believe it not not, she LOVES to watch "her TikToks" for a little bit (bird accounts and Puppy Songs are her faves). And I've recently decided to start doing short training sessions with her again because it distracts her from sitting on my glasses and plucking my eyebrows for me šŸ˜‚
Haha when ever I try watching videos with my bird he starts chewing my phone.

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Every bird is different.

Bingo is bonded to me only and our quality time is in the morning and evening. What we/he does is up to him.
I open his cage and sometimes he wants to sit in the window. Sometimes he sits with me.
Sometimes he wants to play (as written above with an Amazon play doesnā€™t last long).

she talks alot and she is always paying attention to what we are doing and talking about.

I love this threadā€¦ and hearing about everyoneā€™s bird babies
I think all birdies are different in how THEY like to spend time šŸ„°
One of my birds likes to snuggle her face to mine when Iā€™m lying down. She also loves it when I play with her favorite toy WITH her. She likes when I talk to her abs listens intently, also loves playing Pokemon go with me and loves when I read her childrenā€™s books that are 3D or pop up style .
She will do trick training, but itā€™s not her favorite thing.
With her dad, she loves play fighting and will fight to protect the pens on his desk, they play beak tag, he also takes her to the bathroom mirror to play mirror peekaboo.

The other birdie is a Linnie so she is different. She likes to sit on an eye level U perch thatā€™s on the outsode of the cage, and watch me do things, she gets a kick out of it . She also likes to ride on my shoulder , LOVES to be in the kitchen with me while I putter around. watch or help me peel fruit or put dishes away (I donā€™t cook when sheā€™s there obviously!!!) she also loves to burrow and while I discourage it in general, when she gets too hormonal in the spring and is being a terror, I will let her have supervised burrowing with mommy in the evening. Iā€™ll make a big duvet cave next to me or on my chest and let her sit in there, and she will preen, fluff up the blanket, and give herself a head massage while she looks at me. She loves it when I talk to her and tell her how pretty she is.

Both the girls love it when I sing to them. The budgie will fly to my guitar and dance up and down the neck and try to sing along.

She also will sing and with me to songs she likes

I think if you experiment you will notice what they like, things that get them chirping excitedly, acting joyful, or even just a fluffy one leg beak crackle kind of contentmentā€¦
Your birds sound adorable!!!! Thank you for including body language for when parrots are enjoying something. Iā€™ll be sure to use that!!

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Every bird is different.

I like how you show how different birds personalities can be even with the same lifestyle. Thats something Iā€™ll have to consider before getting a second bird because Iā€™m still in school and I only have time to do activities my pre existing bird likes after school.

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Denim cobalt linnie (neelu)
Oooooh I do that sometimes too!! Iā€™ll try to do that more often with him
Thatā€™s so cute!!! Such a good idea.
Yes one of mine is a study buddy too.
The Linnie, is happy as a clam to sit on your shoulder and binge watch TV, or she has a little perch on our desks and loves to watch us do work šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ just sits there on one leg in a happy floof.
My budgie is too ADHD and wants stimulation, so much less work gets done when sheā€™s ā€œhelpingā€šŸ˜Š she wants to chase pens and poop on screens

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Thatā€™s so cute!!! Such a good idea.
Yes one of mine is a study buddy too.
The Linnie, is happy as a clam to sit on your shoulder and binge watch TV, or she has a little perch on our desks and loves to watch us do work šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ just sits there on one leg in a happy floof.
My budgie is too ADHD and wants stimulation, so much less work gets done when sheā€™s ā€œhelpingā€šŸ˜Š she wants to chase pens and poop on screens
Hahahaha budgies never sit still!! Itā€™s their best and worst quality lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts