Harlequin Macaw poops a lot

rbtlyn

Aug 24, 2017
Media
Hello, my guy is about 4 1/2 months old now. He poops a lot thru out the day. Some times he gives you warning but most time not. If I take him to the cage and tell him to poop he will. Does anyone have any advice on how to get him to stop pooping were ever and when ever he wants. I put him in his cage every 10 minutes but some times he has already gone and even more than once.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Parrots do indeed poop MUCH more frequently than virtually any other animal I can think of. If they eat a healthy diet with lots of fresh produce, they'll go even more with wetter poops. I believe I read somewhere they go about 20-25 times a day on average (which I could believe).

Yes, they can be potty trained. There are 2 schools of though on how to potty train a parrot. The first is to teach them to go on command is is strongly discouraged as it can lead to serious/life threatening health problems. The second is to train them to return to a designated area to poop or to signal you when they need to go so you can return them (for non-flighted birds). This takes time and patience. If you see warning (antsy, dropping the butt) pick him up immediately and rush him back to his cage (or wherever is ok for him to go) then praise him for going there. He will eventually grow tired of being interrupted and learn to alert you instead.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yep agreed with the above approach. Macaws poop a LOT. It's normal.

So when I potty trained my Jenday Conure years ago, I ddi the thing you aren't supposed to do and trained him to go on command. He ended up holding it all day and would only go if I had him on my finger and held him over his cage. I should have done what was mentioned above and trained him to go relieve himself at a certain spot.

It's almost the same as training puppies to go outside. Frequently make trips there and never allow yourself to be in a situation where they have to hold it for long. Babies won't go long without going, twenty minutes maybe, and then they go again. So every 15 minutes, make a trip to his cage or play stand or where you want him to go, wait for him to go and praise after its done, then go about doing other things again.

OP
rbtlyn

rbtlyn

Aug 24, 2017
Media
Thank you for the advice. I very much appreciate it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts