Harness Brands

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
So after trying a few, I thought I'd start a thread on parrot harnesses, the brands and their pros and cons. Please share your experiences with different brands!

These are the ones I have experience with.

Adjustable Parrot/Bird Harness Multicoloured $10 -lovelyhousesupport (ebay)
$T2eC16RHJGkE9no8hljnBQ8n2Yoqew%7E%7E60_35.JPG

I do not recommend this product. There is no way to support the chest and back at the same time and it only loops around the wings. The metal beads that connect it to the leash are easily breakable and no wider than a pinhead, even one one designed for an african grey. The glue that keeps the loop connected came undone after only one use. Lots of colours, but way to easy to slip off.

Teather/Harness/Leash/Veg Tan Leather $16-$20 -leathers4feathers (ebay)
$%28KGrHqEOKjkE1rVLqDqtBNshpTbr1Q%7E%7E_3.JPG
This harness was better. I bought it for my senigal, but I did have a few minor issues with it. It had both back and chest support, but the leather was easily chewed at and looked quite worn after the first use. It goes over the head, but then has two buckles that go under the wings and clasp on the sides. These my sennie didn't like; it was too much fuss trying to lift her wings to clasp it shut, and I think that they metal might have been a bit heavy for her to wear. It came with a nice matching leash as well, but it's only about two feet long. I do love the homemade feel about them though, and they come in every colour of the rainbow!

The Aviator
p-34071-44630-harness.jpg

This for me was the winner! I bought one for sale for only $10 (usually $25-$35) and put it on with little trouble. Once I slipped the head onto one of my greys, he flapped and the harness just fell into place. It was easy to tighten, as the tightener can slide to the stomach or back. The leash is also a great length, I was able to take all my birds out one at a time the first time I introduced it to them. My only complaint is that the harness does not detach from the leash, and the small sizes only come in red and black.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I've used the feather tether. It is bulky and when I tried using it with a cockati he would get a foot in it and tighten the harness around his neck essentially strangulating himself. I tried once and never again, he wore it for a iut 20 seconds before i quickly got it off. I used it on Rosie for months and it never happened, my only complaint was the weight and bulky was annoyed Rosie.

I love the aviator and I am happy the leash does not come unattached. It is well made and fits Rosie very well. She can even fly in it with no trouble.

Last edited:

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
I have experience with the Flight Suit.

I was given it by a friend of mine since her cockatiel did not like it. But mine do!

I don't know how it would be for larger birds, I think the Aviator might be better for them.

It's held on with velcro, which a larger bird could rip off theoretically. I tie the leash on securely around the velcro so the leash is more secure. It works great for my cockatiels, it's cute and comfortable enough. Some birds wont poop right away in them if they aren't used to them yet.

I think for light chewing small birds it is a great alternative, but I think a strong beak could potentially chew the velcro.

IMG_6745.jpg

OP
Karigan

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Such a cute flight suit, where did she get it?

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Cute pics. I have used the flight suit and the aviator. So far the aviator is the winner. Gilbert doesn't really fuss putting it on and he barely picks at it or notices it once it is on. The flight suit became something he would continually chew to try to take it off.
For us, the Aviator is the winner!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I don't think I've seen the first two brands, but I do know of The Feather Tether, The Flight Suit/Bird Diaper, The Kaylor Collar and the Aviator.

I have two Feather Tethers (in different sizes/colors) and an Aviator. The aviator feels like it was designed better (it was designed with safety in mind - if the leash could detach from the harness, that would be a potential safety hazard!), but the Feather Tethers go on/off easier.

Here's the two Feather Tethers

CharlieHarness.jpg

6f1bc2f5.jpg

31284fc2.jpg

And the Aviator

556807_10151002018216469_1377628048_n.jpg

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I like feather teathers for larger birds, but not suitable for smaller ones.

I've used a FT on Merlin, was okay, but felt it's a bit too bulky for him.

Used aviator on budgies and senegal and loved it. Just wish Merlin didn't hate it as much as he did so I could actually USE it on him!

Most Reactions