Harness Flying

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
So, we have decided (a couple of years ago) to allow our fids to fly. All is well so far. Pickles, my female GCC is super laid back. I woke up this morning with burning pancakes (I'm sure it was on Teflon, as my husband is so stubborn on some things). The house was filled with black smoke.

I was super "your on the couch" furious when I wake up to not only the mess, but my bird hitchhiking all over the house with my husband with every door and window open. His response - I have no doubt she would come back to me. Ha! She is a bird. So I have decided to flight train in case of emergency more than anything.

My little GCC is a very dainty little girl. When I go to pet stores other green cheeks look enormous to me. She is WAY smaller than my suns. Does anyone have a recommendation on a bird this size and the aviator harness. Here is the site:

https://www.amazon.com/AVIATOR-Pet-...1484697784&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=conure&th=1

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jen

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would get in contact with the Aviator folks and tell them your GCC's weight, and they can recommend a size. The problem with theirs is when you get to the small XS and XXS sizes, they use the same width straps as the ones for large amazons, greys and macaws. WHen they are that wide, its clumsy to try and get the harness on and your bird used to it. There is no need for straps that can take 100 lbs before breaking for a 200 gram parrot. I wish some one would make more delicate harnesses for our smaller parrots.

It does take a lot of patient training to get a parrot used to putting it on too. I've been working with my Salty for almost 1 year, and we have only managed to get the harness on once.. And after that experience, he rejected even getting close to it for a week or so, and we hasd to start from scratch.

Your lucky that your GCC did not say Bye Bye, if she is flighted and open windows and doors were present. But I'm sure you gave hubby hell about it. Actually your lucky that your fids are not dead, with burning teflon present. When we got back into having a parrot, I made my wife throw out not only pans, but a dozen different cooking appliances , gadget and gizmos that had teflon on them ( like George Formon grills etc). Out. Out! Evil teflon! ( she was good about it).

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Oh I just got one of those at a local avian store, on the back it says x-small for conures xxs for sun conures, they are relatively adjustable around the body, just not the part that goes around the wings / head so i suggest just getting the xxs and you should be okay.

Last edited:
OP
PickleMeDickles

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Your lucky that your GCC did not say Bye Bye, if she is flighted and open windows and doors were present. But I'm sure you gave hubby hell about it. Actually your lucky that your fids are not dead, with burning teflon present. When we got back into having a parrot, I made my wife throw out not only pans, but a dozen different cooking appliances , gadget and gizmos that had teflon on them ( like George Formon grills etc). Out. Out! Evil teflon! ( she was good about it).

Yes, he can be a bumble head. He was a horse trainer, so if the injury was far from the heart then it's obviously not serious (don't even get me on that rant). I was actually an RN for many years and totally understand the reality of danger. No, Pickles would probably not fly out an open door. If Pickles got out and was calm enough, she might come back to you or allow you to catch her. Way to many if's. One if is enough. He is going to Vegas in a couple of weeks. I think I see a Salvation Army Donation in our future.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
The smallest size available is what I use for my GCCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts