Harness for Oliver!

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
After reading several posts warning our beloved parrots can fly away when taken outside I am afraid to let Oliver "sunbathe" for 15 minutes a few times a week. I used to sit out on the patio and let him rest on his basket but now I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Does anybody use a harness for their Eclectus? And if so, what size and brand did you order? Oliver is now 11 months old, very well behaved, and a total love to be around. If he took off I'd freak.

Also, I love bike riding and power walking in the morning. It would be very nice for Oliver to get out and accompany me but I'm not sure how to do this. I saw a couple with their birds on their bikes but I couldn't get close enough to figure out how they were doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Is Oliver fully flighted? If so, yes you are taking a big risk by letting him outside without a harness. I would recommend the aviator harness, this is the best harness I have found. I have been using it very successfully with my rb2. It comes with a great dvd which explains everything really well.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Well, not only flying away, but also you must keep a close eye on your bird when out doors especially in Florida. Snakes are a huge problem for me as it seems they can sense when a bird is around. Also hawks are another problem. So even on a harness, a hawk can grab your bird and be gone in a split second or less.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Also, even if your bird is clipped, they can still fly a certain distance. If not then they could drop like a rock and hurt themselves after a clipping.

OP
drlisaort

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver is clipped, to my regret, but I'm too afraid not to living in Florida and going in and out of our home regularly year-round and he is always out of his cage when I'm home. I never ever leave him outside too long and I am always with him.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Take a look at leathers4feathers.com I have two and I will be ordering more. vary easy on and off. Not great for flights but perfect for walks.

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
I have the aviator harness I got at mysafebirdstore.com. I believe it's small...not positive but the website tells you which one is good for Eclectus. My boy will be 1 this week and I've brought him out 2-3 times with the harness so far and it's worked well. Not sure how you'd bring him on the bike, maybe if you had a basket you could put him in with the harness on. Good luck:)

OP
drlisaort

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Thank you for all of the suggestions!!!! I think it would be so much fun to have Oliver with me on my walks. I did see somewhere a backpack made for hiking with your bird--had a screen at the front. But Oliver would probably chew his way out of it...and not seeing him behind me would bother me.

Most Reactions