Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
I got the harness on Gollum today. When I put it over her head she was nervous but didnt freak out trying to get it off like last time. So... I went for the wings. I got the wings in, she tried chewing on it the whole time. When I went to tighten it up, I realized I had it on upside down, then I got nervous, she got more nervous. I tried getting it off but it was hard to loosen it. Afterwards she just snuggled on my chest and her little heart was pounding.
I feel so badly :( Maybe it wouldnt have been so bad if I had put it on the correct way. Maybe the flight suit would be better. Either way, I am not giving up. I want to be able to take her outside. I suppose that is progress? LOL

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I got the harness on Gollum today. When I put it over her head she was nervous but didnt freak out trying to get it off like last time. So... I went for the wings. I got the wings in, she tried chewing on it the whole time. When I went to tighten it up, I realized I had it on upside down, then I got nervous, she got more nervous. I tried getting it off but it was hard to loosen it. Afterwards she just snuggled on my chest and her little heart was pounding.
I feel so badly :( Maybe it wouldnt have been so bad if I had put it on the correct way. Maybe the flight suit would be better. Either way, I am not giving up. I want to be able to take her outside. I suppose that is progress? LOL

Well you didn't get bit, so she trusts you. Don't feel too bad. It was a great attempt. And they will chew on it. I would pin it to you so that she gets used to it being around, and try again another time. Try and have a bunch of treats with you too. Something she is gaga about.

WideO

Aug 26, 2013
Indeed, sounds like real trust, that's great! Something tells me that if I were to try this with Oscar, I would be typing this with 6,5 fingers. ;)

I thought about it too, but I noticed how much he wants to be near us when he's outside of his cage. He never even flies to the attic - even though I spent weeks making a passage from the ground floor so they could comfortably fly up to 20 ft high. We need to take him up the stairs on a stick, and then he'll fly there too.

I can also see he truly loves the safety of his cage and as strange as it sounds, feels most relaxed when he's in there, or sitting on top of us. So somehow I don't think I want to go get a harness - even though it would be awesome to show him the garden, ponds etc. Maybe later.

OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
Tried the harness again this morning. I got it on her. We went outside to walk to the kids to the bus stop. Until we walked outside she kept grabbing the chest part with her foot or both feet. Then when I went to take it off, she was biting the neck part with her beak and wouldnt let go, so I couldnt get it off her neck. I had to pry her beak open. I will count this as a success since it went on and we went outside. It was hell. I think I may try the other flight suit.

Most Reactions