Harness training advice?

CasKreie

Feb 25, 2018
Elkhart, IN
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Greetings friends, flesh and feathers!
My blue and gold is very uncomfortable and almost aggressive when it comes to harness training. When I was with my now ex(we split partially due to how he treated Roxanne) he placed a small towel over her head to put a harness on her once without my knowledge until after the fact. I was furious with him, but now that I'm trying to train her to let me put it on in a positive way, she us so unwilling it is ridiculous. I've tried treat reinforcement, I have tried placing it around my wrist and giving her her favorite head pets to sneak it over her head, I just don't know what else to try. Rox loves being outside in the sun, but I won't take her out without her harness on. Summer here in northern America is coming,and I want her to enjoy the outdoors.
Thank you for any and all tips! Love from Roxy and I both! :60::blue1:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
How to destroy a loving bond? Harness Train!!!

That said, members have been successful! So, there is hope. Both Kiwibird and Wrench13 have Harness Train (they will likely say, kind of) their Amazons.

If your MAC is flighted, you really should concentrate on 'Recall' training first! Harnesses fail and also slide out of one's hand. So, Start There First!

With hope one or both will respond.

NOTE: Since your MAC is likely not trusting of the harness or anything that looks like it! You should consider a reintroduction of the harness from it being in the general area to working, with time, to near by, to being close and then used as a toy. At least you will have recovered your starting place.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there. As Sailboats has said, I harness trained my Yellow SHoulder Amazon to accept harnessing. It took almost a year of working every night with Salty, getting him comfortable with putting his head through the head loop, and used to the weight of the harness. However Salty and I regularly wrestle and rough house, which you need to get your parrot used to being handled, lifting wings, being on his back and just touched in general. Once you do get the harness on, its important to go outside right away, so you parrot associates the harness with going out and the pleasures that brings. Lots of treats are involved in training too.

Salty and I have a video on the link below on how not to put one on and then how to put one on.

Most Reactions