Harness training = stubborn, stubborn Kizzy

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My thoughts exactly with Plum. re my link for Celtei.

Low lighting! :45: Must try that with syringe medicating! I might get away intact LOL.

Pak-o-bird is still our preferred method for taking Kiwi out. Hoping by next summer with continued desensitization he'll at least be able to hang out on the patio and stuff on the harness but I never foresee it becoming his primary means to go out and about on (more for conveniences sake).

Low lighting does seem to help make him compliant. By low lighting, I mean like mood lighting in a nice restaurant low light, so objects, people etc... are still visible but it's not bright and stimulating in the room. Might want to see how Plum reacts on a "normal" day to gauge whether it would work for you or not to try medicating her in low lighting conditions.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We can only get Kiwi in his harness one way- by doing it in a dim room where he can't see too well and quickly buckle that sucker on before he knows what's happening:p Being in low lighting seems to calm the beastie. Maybe give it a try with Kizzy? We also have the buckle-on feather tether, which IMO is easier to get on (and off!) a resistant bird than the aviator looks to be. Getting Kiwi to stick his head voluntarily into a harness then having to weave and adjust the rest around his body would be about the same odds as a million dollars falling from the sky.

Wow, Julio is on-guard as the lighting dims! It would be a violent, bloody fight to the death (and not his) for the fool that would try such a thing. That time (light condition) is his special prep for sleep time and disturbing of any kind without permission is like assure a fast trip to the ER. The only thing that I can tie it to is that the past owner's care-givers likely tried to towel him during that light condition to put him in the cage for the night. Our other Amazons, far less an issue - but not with him!!! Yup, learned that one the hard way!

Kiwibirds Reply:

"Interesting Julio gets more agitated in low light if disturbed. Kiwi is very docile in low lighting and while I'm sure if you hurt him he'd bite, he actually is MUCH more tolerant of things he'd normally be...uh... less than compliant about:p. "

I hear you!

Its like his response is more along the lines of a Parrot that had been terrorized during periods of reduced light. I can with proper introduction and time come to him and if needed have him Step-Up. Once he steps-up its like he is a totally different Julio. Like being on my hand comforts him - greatly, followed by beak grinding and a low humming sound he makes when all is right in his world.

None of our past Amazons have displayed this kind of 'fear.' Hence, I believe that it is a response he has learned to use, as if he needs to protect himself.

Sorry to the OP, for this side journey!

Last edited:
OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017

Low lighting! :45: Must try that with syringe medicating! I might get away intact LOL.

Pak-o-bird is still our preferred method for taking Kiwi out. Hoping by next summer with continued desensitization he'll at least be able to hang out on the patio and stuff on the harness but I never foresee it becoming his primary means to go out and about on (more for conveniences sake).

Low lighting does seem to help make him compliant. By low lighting, I mean like mood lighting in a nice restaurant low light, so objects, people etc... are still visible but it's not bright and stimulating in the room. Might want to see how Plum reacts on a "normal" day to gauge whether it would work for you or not to try medicating her in low lighting conditions.

You know, I think Kizzy may be more tolerant of harness training in the evenings for some reason and maybe lower lighting is the answer. It doesn't get really dark, but the light is much less glaring. Maybe if I turn off one extra light, it would be just right? Hmmm. Maybe I'll try.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.

You mean my kicking, biting, wriggling, squawking, spitting monster. Trying low lighting would be the last bite of the cherry on this. Gotta be worth a try when next required. thanks. :)

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
I just came to the conclusion that this is all a game to Kizzy. She was never very "traumatized" by the harness. Right after the incident where I "bypassed some approximations," yeah, she was a little fearful. The past few days? Not that much. It's just she didn't want to play "harness" at the particular times I chose. That was the extent of her reticence. She's a very smart parrot, so she gets bored with "harness" sometimes. :)

A couple of minutes ago, I picked up the harness and she got really excited because she was finally ready to play. Without the lure of a seed and before I straightened the darn thing out, she had her head through the correct hole and was demanding a reward. She had to close her eyes and push to get the thing on, mind you. I draped the whole contraption over her body a couple of times and the only grumble I received was when I moved to take the harness off. It ruffles her feathers and she doesn't like that.

I still don't think it's a good idea to push her too far too fast. She needs to be able to deal with the feeling of the tether on her feathers before I cinch it up all the way again. Also, she shouldn't feel trapped. She should be able to remove her head from the loop unless I'm draping the harness on her body for a few seconds. And yes, I still think it's going to take a long time because Kizzy likes messing with my expectations. She ran away from the harness for a few days and then today, she couldn't put her head through the loop fast enough. Also, note that it's evening again. Hmmmmmm.

Amazon parrots...smh. XD

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I just came to the conclusion that this is all a game to Kizzy. She was never very "traumatized" by the harness. Right after the incident where I "bypassed some approximations," yeah, she was a little fearful. The past few days? Not that much. It's just she didn't want to play "harness" at the particular times I chose. That was the extent of her reticence. She's a very smart parrot, so she gets bored with "harness" sometimes. :)

A couple of minutes ago, I picked up the harness and she got really excited because she was finally ready to play. Without the lure of a seed and before I straightened the darn thing out, she had her head through the correct hole and was demanding a reward. She had to close her eyes and push to get the thing on, mind you. I draped the whole contraption over her body a couple of times and the only grumble I received was when I moved to take the harness off. It ruffles her feathers and she doesn't like that.

I still don't think it's a good idea to push her too far too fast. She needs to be able to deal with the feeling of the tether on her feathers before I cinch it up all the way again. Also, she shouldn't feel trapped. She should be able to remove her head from the loop unless I'm draping the harness on her body for a few seconds. And yes, I still think it's going to take a long time because Kizzy likes messing with my expectations. She ran away from the harness for a few days and then today, she couldn't put her head through the loop fast enough. Also, note that it's evening again. Hmmmmmm.

Amazon parrots...smh. XD

Well that sounds like she's getting there! Just need to make sure she's finding it all fun which when she gets to go outside should be more than fun enough for her! (with a few treats here and there for extra incentive

Most Reactions

Latest posts