Harness

Johnny

Nov 27, 2012
Parrots
Ciry, Kira - B&G
Heya! So I am just curious, we never had any problem putting on the harness on Ciry, she is always so patient (almost seems like she is sticking her head out for me to put it on her), but then she bites and chews the harness a lot (if she is not interested in something else outside. I dont know if it is just uncomfortable for her, I dont think that it hurts her or does something bad with her feathers. She just chews it in the front, in the back and so on sometimes. What do you think? If this continues, I will have to buy a new harness in a few months of chewing :p

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
How many times has Ciry worn the harness? ( i thought she was free flighted?)

For the first week Fargo chewed his harness alot unless something caught his attention..
The second week he was fairly good, but occasionally chewed it a little..

and gradually after wearing it alot, he stopped!

Now he doesnt touch it at all! :D

Its been about 3-4 months of going outside about every day or second day, depending on the weather.. so he doesnt care about it anymore!

They just chew cause something is on them that shouldnt be on them, they just have to get used to it! Like putting a saddle on a horse! :p

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Nov 27, 2012
Parrots
Ciry, Kira - B&G
Yes she wears it alot, she wears it since she was ~5 mths old, now she is almost 1 year old. Like I said there was never a problem with the harness, just that she chewes it and it looks like it bothers her sometimes. Yes she is free-flighted, but sometimes I take her for a walk (we live in a city) and it is not exactly safe without it, so I wouldnt risk taking her like that.

It's just that after so long time I thought she would be OK with it (like Tab said)

Kaylea

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Skyler-Blue n gold macaw
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but, our girl never has probably with hers and then one day she started chewing at it. We found our it was cause she was molting and it was bothering her pin feathers.. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts