Harry's hanging garden/playstand

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I don't know how I missed this, but Harry is a lucky bird! She will LOVE that beautiful hanging garden once she realizes it won't eat her:) Any luck yet with the quakers? At least some of your birds appreciated your hard work!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet! Nice to see they're all coming around, Allee! Soon enough, the quaker posse will be hogging it up for themselves! Hahaha!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Allee, LOVED your narration over the photos. Hilarious, especially the part where you said "Harry super glued her feet to my shoulder."

I'm willing to bet Zeke and Harry will be full occupying the hanging garden in no time flat. :D

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
What amazing and wonderful play gardens! They are beautiful and could even serve as unusual decoration in houses without birds!!! Great job, you need to start selling these!!!

I've been attempting something along the same lines but can't figure out how to handle the "bottom part". I don't want a heavy tray to catch the droppings, and I want the hole thing on a rope that I can raise and lower. As far as toys are concerned I would have to hang my cell phone and my computer mouse. They are by far the most sought after toys around here, nothing else is as attractive as the mouse wheel and the soft rubber case on my phone.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I love it! One little thing concerns me, the screw hooks look open. I had a cocktail that got her beak caught in one once. Very scary! You could either close it, or screw it in enough to bury the open end in the wood. Again! Awsum!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I love it! One little thing concerns me, the screw hooks look open. I had a cocktail that got her beak caught in one once. Very scary! You could either close it, or screw it in enough to bury the open end in the wood. Again! Awsum!
Good eye, David!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
[/URL]
Good eye, David!

Thanks!
I am a troubleshooter as a living, so by nature am OCD! Was thinking, if the hooks are too long to screw all the way in, back em out and clip the ends a bit shorter.

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you, everyone! I hope the quakers get the idea pretty soon.

Thanks David. I did notice that. I sanded of the sharp edges and fixed the gaps in the eye hooks. For now, I also tied sisal through the loop, but I will have to watch that close when the birds really start playing on it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
That's a beautiful play stand, Allee!! Your flock will have a great time once acclimated.

You deserve the title of Master ParrotForums Architect!

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Awww thanks! You make me blush!

David, you really have a good eye. The hooks were a design flaw. I made the changes and added the sisal. I didn't think it would be a problem because I didn't expect the birds to land there. Of course, Sweet pea couldn't get there fast enough. I need to cover the zip ties in the SS ring at the top too.

I removed the sisal, they have such tiny toes. I caught Zeke on the play stand today, but he leaped off when he saw me. Harry spent the day across the room, I figure she's planning a hostile takeover or thinking of leaving home.

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Thank you! My cockatiel loves it, she plays on it a lot, the budgies like it too. As usual, the quakers are the last hold out.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Can we now see the after pictures? I imagine the flower missing, objects rearranged, and chew marks. LOL

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Here you go!

For some reason the cupcake flowers on the playstand haven't been destroyed yet??? Probably because Poppy doesn't have access to it.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Hahahaha! Love the basket idea! (And apparently, so did Poppy!) Sweet! In fact, I think I'll have to steal that one!

nrooks

Oct 21, 2014
London, Ontario
Parrots
Seven Cockatiels - four females and three males
Five Parrotlets - three males and two females
Wow - They look amazing!
I am super envious for as much as I would love to give something like this a try I am at a loss as to where to buy 'safe' supplies and how to make it (ei: attach everything)
I think I need a how to make parrot toys for dummies book ;)

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
I use a lot of zip ties, raw leather strips, untreated sisal, cotton or hemp cord to attach toy parts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts