Has anyone had got his/her bird Cremated, after necropsy - How much?

DinoTheLori

May 21, 2016
Has anyone had a pet bird cremated before, after a necropsy - If so, how much? I'm in California.
I never had to deal with this before.
My little angel Dino died on Thursday suddenly. My world is now upside down. You can see my post about Dino. I'm getting a necropsy for him done, but they won't give me back his remains. They say, i need to get a pet cremate to pick him up and professionally cremated. Any advice?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sadly I have. My preference is for a "private" rather than a group cremation where the ashes may be comingled. Not at home right now to check the receipt, but IIRC it was a bit less than $200 with a cedar chest and claw imprint in clay.

I am a bit surprised the vet won't return the remains in a sealed box should you prefer burial, but perhaps there are health reasons. Years ago I had birds returned after passing at the vet, but we had very long associations with that clinic.

I am sorry for your loss of Dino, as posted in the other thread. Some folks take great comfort in having a focus for remembrance in their homes - it can help with the process.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I posted in your other thread, but I'll post it here too. I paid $110 through my vet for Spice to be privately cremated, it was the same for my other conure that I had cremated previously.

With that, I get an engraved cedar chest and a letter with the rainbow bridge poem and some other things written.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Peaceful Paws | Lake Elsinore Pet Cremation, Memorials | L.A. Pet Urns This is a company I highly recommend. I have 2 birds cremated by this company, and I am very impressed. They take care of all types of pets.

They give some beautiful extras along with the cedar box in a pretty sheer bag with ribbon tie. You get an aluminum heart name tag with their name engraved on it attached to the box lock. Clay footprints in a separate silk bag, and wildflower seeds. It was $100 through my vet. You can contact the company through the website and ask how much it would be to do it independently.

Last edited:

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I'm in Clearwater and it was roughly 100$ for doolie who was a yellow nape amazon and always request private..it cost more but worth it in my mind.

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
So sorry about Dino. I've never had it done and Baby is my first bird. I can't imagine. Other pets I've had growing up were diligently buried in the backyard. I don't think I'm prepared for mine but he still has some years left. He's not even around 20 yet but getting there and it's sometimes thought about when "the time comes."

Again, sorry about Dino and wish for a peaceful process in this difficult time for you.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
The numbers sound about right. Jeanne gets all the birds that die at the shelter cremated in those cedar boxes. We have a shelf in one of the upstairs bedrooms with them all sitting together.

Sorry about Dino:(

Most Reactions