Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Tomorrow I have to think about having to put dog down. The vet
gave us two options, neither are very good.

Chili, our Mini Dachshund already went thru 3 surgeries to remove cancer tumor. The last one nearly did her in. So I'm not sure I want to subject her to another surgery. Chances are not good for another surgery. The vet can try....but as my wife said, (former vet) chances are not very good, same as the vet we have. Chili is not that old, about 9.
Boy this is a very hard thing to do and preparing myself for it.....

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Jeez that really sucks. I'm sorry.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I'm so sorry you are facing this decision. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
So sorry that it has come down to this big decision. :( Sending many hugs your way. I had to put my dog down 8 years ago. She had a stroke. It was very difficult but I think it was for the best. It's never an easy decision Hugs to you!

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
(((hugs)))

This is never an easy decision to arrive at, especially because you love your dog so much. I'm so sorry that you're going through this terrible situation. .

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm really sorry, Michael. These decisions are by far the hardest of the pet ownership experience. Yet none of us would exchange the difficult times for an antiseptic life of no companion animals. It is truly heartbreaking when our desires to keep a pet alive intersect with the potential pain/suffering and a questionable quality of life.

I hope you, your family, and the vet are able to arrive at the best possible decision for Chili, one that brings comfort and peace.

OP
Hawk

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Thanks everyone....

Something like this is never easy. But I don't think she'll make
it through a 3rd surgery. She currently has dog diapers on as she is losing control of bladder and bowels. They said after last surgery it very well could come back again ( the cancer)... and it did.

Here's pictures of our weeny dogs. Chili is on far right, short haired.
she's 9. Still young.

The hardest part is when she's sitting here next to me and looks up at me, with painful sad eyes.... Boy this is going to rip me up.

Last edited:

Most Reactions